* problem with gnus-group-make-nnir-group
@ 2011-10-24 19:17 Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2011-10-24 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello,

When pressing GG on a gmane group, I get this error:

Contacting host: search.gmane.org:80
run-hooks: Symbol's value as variable is void: gnus-registry-enabled

Where could be the problem and how can I solve it?

TIA for any hints,
--
           Peter

* Re: problem with gnus-group-make-nnir-group
@ 2011-10-24 23:57 ` Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2011-10-24 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

on Mon Oct 24 2011, pmlists-AT-free.fr (Peter Münster) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> When pressing GG on a gmane group, I get this error:
>
> Contacting host: search.gmane.org:80
> run-hooks: Symbol's value as variable is void: gnus-registry-enabled
>
> Where could be the problem and how can I solve it?

Try `M-x load-library RET gnus RET' and then do your `G G' again.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing

* Re: problem with gnus-group-make-nnir-group
@ 2011-10-25  5:24   ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2011-10-25  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, Oct 25 2011, Dave Abrahams wrote:

>> When pressing GG on a gmane group, I get this error:
>>
>> Contacting host: search.gmane.org:80
>> run-hooks: Symbol's value as variable is void: gnus-registry-enabled
>>
>> Where could be the problem and how can I solve it?
>
> Try `M-x load-library RET gnus RET' and then do your `G G' again.

Does not work. Why should it? gnus is already loaded.

Do you mean perhaps "gnus-registry"?

When I do `M-x load-library RET gnus-registry RET', then I get this error:

byte-code: Wrong number of arguments: (lambda (symbol doc definition) "Make SYMBOL name the test DEFINITION, and return DEFINITION." (when doc (put symbol (quote ert-test-documentation) doc)) (put symbol (quote ert-test) definition) definition), 2

:(

--

@ 2011-10-25  7:21     ` Dave Abrahams
From: Dave Abrahams @ 2011-10-25  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

on Tue Oct 25 2011, pmlists-AT-free.fr (Peter Münster) wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 25 2011, Dave Abrahams wrote:
>
>>> When pressing GG on a gmane group, I get this error:
>>>
>>> Contacting host: search.gmane.org:80
>>> run-hooks: Symbol's value as variable is void: gnus-registry-enabled
>>>
>>> Where could be the problem and how can I solve it?
>>
>> Try `M-x load-library RET gnus RET' and then do your `G G' again.
>
> Does not work. Why should it? gnus is already loaded.
>
> Do you mean perhaps "gnus-registry"?

Sorry; that is exactly what I meant.

> When I do `M-x load-library RET gnus-registry RET', then I get this error:
>
> byte-code: Wrong number of arguments: (lambda (symbol doc definition)
> "Make SYMBOL name the test DEFINITION, and return DEFINITION." (when
> doc (put symbol (quote ert-test-documentation) doc)) (put symbol
> (quote ert-test) definition) definition), 2

Yowch.  Looks like a problem in the unit tests?  I don't know.  Ted?

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing

* Re: problem with gnus-group-make-nnir-group
@ 2011-10-27 17:37       ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-10-27 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 03:21:49 -0400 Dave Abrahams <dave@boostpro.com> wrote:

DA> on Tue Oct 25 2011, pmlists-AT-free.fr (Peter Münster) wrote:

>>> Try `M-x load-library RET gnus RET' and then do your `G G' again.
>>
>> Does not work. Why should it? gnus is already loaded.
>>
>> Do you mean perhaps "gnus-registry"?

DA> Sorry; that is exactly what I meant.

>> When I do `M-x load-library RET gnus-registry RET', then I get this error:
>>
>> byte-code: Wrong number of arguments: (lambda (symbol doc definition)
>> "Make SYMBOL name the test DEFINITION, and return DEFINITION." (when
>> doc (put symbol (quote ert-test-documentation) doc)) (put symbol
>> (quote ert-test) definition) definition), 2

DA> Yowch.  Looks like a problem in the unit tests?  I don't know.  Ted?

Usually that means ERT is getting loaded from the wrong place, IIRC.
Can you check your load-path?

Ted

* Re: problem with gnus-group-make-nnir-group
@ 2011-10-30 15:59         ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2011-10-30 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Thu, Oct 27 2011, Ted Zlatanov wrote:

> Usually that means ERT is getting loaded from the wrong place, IIRC.
> Can you check your load-path?

Indeed: it was loaded from the nxhtml package!
Without the following line, there is no error when loading gnus-registry:
(load (concat "~/emacs/packages/nxhtml/autostart"))

But how should I load nxhtml then?

And the original error remains:
Symbol's value as variable is void: gnus-registry-enabled
Even after loading gnus-registry... :(

--

@ 2011-10-30 19:00           ` Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz @ 2011-10-30 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sun, Oct 30 2011, Peter Münster wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 27 2011, Ted Zlatanov wrote:
>
>> Usually that means ERT is getting loaded from the wrong place, IIRC.
>> Can you check your load-path?
>
> Indeed: it was loaded from the nxhtml package!
> Without the following line, there is no error when loading gnus-registry:
> (load (concat "~/emacs/packages/nxhtml/autostart"))
>
> But how should I load nxhtml then?
>
> And the original error remains:
> Symbol's value as variable is void: gnus-registry-enabled
> Even after loading gnus-registry... :(

In my version of Gnus (corresponding to a recent emacs snapshot), the
problem is with the body of nnir-mode, which starts as (nnir.el:1741):

  (defun nnir-mode ()
    (when (eq (car (gnus-find-method-for-group gnus-newsgroup-name)) 'nnir)
      (setq gnus-summary-line-format
  	  (or nnir-summary-line-format gnus-summary-line-format))
      (when (gnus-bound-and-true-p gnus-registry-enabled)

But both `gnus-registry-enabled' *and* `gnus-bound-and-true-p' are
undefined when nnir is loaded.  gnus-registry.el does define the former,
but not the latter function, and in my emacs session
(fboundp 'gnus-bound-and-true-p) returns nil.

HTH,
jao
--
One will rarely err if extreme actions be ascribed to vanity, ordinary
actions to habit, and mean actions to fear. -Friedrich Nietzsche,

* Re: problem with gnus-group-make-nnir-group
@ 2011-10-31 17:19             ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-10-31 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 20:00:44 +0100 "Jose A. Ortega Ruiz" <jao@gnu.org> wrote:

jao> In my version of Gnus (corresponding to a recent emacs snapshot), the
jao> problem is with the body of nnir-mode, which starts as (nnir.el:1741):

jao>   (defun nnir-mode ()
jao>     (when (eq (car (gnus-find-method-for-group gnus-newsgroup-name)) 'nnir)
jao>       (setq gnus-summary-line-format
jao>   	  (or nnir-summary-line-format gnus-summary-line-format))
jao>       (when (gnus-bound-and-true-p gnus-registry-enabled)

jao> But both `gnus-registry-enabled' *and* `gnus-bound-and-true-p' are
jao> undefined when nnir is loaded.  gnus-registry.el does define the former,
jao> but not the latter function, and in my emacs session
jao> (fboundp 'gnus-bound-and-true-p) returns nil.

I don't know how that's possible.  nnir.el has

(defvar gnus-registry-enabled)

and loads gnus-util.el, which defines `gnus-bound-and-true-p'.  So this
problem should not happen, and does not happen on the Gnus Buildbot
either.  Can you think of something that could be causing the problem
for you but not for me and the Buildbot?

Thanks
Ted

* Re: problem with gnus-group-make-nnir-group
@ 2011-10-31 17:21           ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-10-31 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 16:59:10 +0100 pmlists@free.fr (Peter Münster) wrote:

PM> On Thu, Oct 27 2011, Ted Zlatanov wrote:
>> Usually that means ERT is getting loaded from the wrong place, IIRC.
>> Can you check your load-path?

PM> Indeed: it was loaded from the nxhtml package!
PM> Without the following line, there is no error when loading gnus-registry:
PM> (load (concat "~/emacs/packages/nxhtml/autostart"))

PM> But how should I load nxhtml then?

I believe we're using the latest ERT.  Could nxhtml also update to that,
if they are not?

PM> And the original error remains:
PM> Symbol's value as variable is void: gnus-registry-enabled
PM> Even after loading gnus-registry... :(

As with Jose's post, I can't replicate the problem.  Could anyone else
try `nnir-mode' and see if they can tell what's wrong with it?

Thanks!
Ted

* Re: problem with gnus-group-make-nnir-group
@ 2011-10-31 17:38             ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-10-31 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 13:21:38 -0400 Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> wrote:

TZ> On Sun, 30 Oct 2011 16:59:10 +0100 pmlists@free.fr (Peter Münster) wrote:
PM> On Thu, Oct 27 2011, Ted Zlatanov wrote:
>>> Usually that means ERT is getting loaded from the wrong place, IIRC.
>>> Can you check your load-path?

PM> Indeed: it was loaded from the nxhtml package!
PM> Without the following line, there is no error when loading gnus-registry:
PM> (load (concat "~/emacs/packages/nxhtml/autostart"))

PM> But how should I load nxhtml then?

TZ> I believe we're using the latest ERT.  Could nxhtml also update to that,
TZ> if they are not?

PM> And the original error remains:
PM> Symbol's value as variable is void: gnus-registry-enabled
PM> Even after loading gnus-registry... :(

TZ> As with Jose's post, I can't replicate the problem.  Could anyone else
TZ> try `nnir-mode' and see if they can tell what's wrong with it?

I committed a small fix to try to address this, can you please try it?

Ted

* Re: problem with gnus-group-make-nnir-group
@ 2011-10-31 19:58               ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2011-10-31 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Mon, Oct 31 2011, Ted Zlatanov wrote:

> PM> (load (concat "~/emacs/packages/nxhtml/autostart"))
>
> PM> But how should I load nxhtml then?
>
> TZ> I believe we're using the latest ERT.  Could nxhtml also update to that,
> TZ> if they are not?

I'll forward the message to the nxhtml developers. In the meantime I do

(add-to-list 'load-path "~/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp") ; avoid problem with ert.el

after loading nxhtml.

> PM> And the original error remains:
> PM> Symbol's value as variable is void: gnus-registry-enabled
> PM> Even after loading gnus-registry... :(
>
> TZ> As with Jose's post, I can't replicate the problem.  Could anyone else
> TZ> try `nnir-mode' and see if they can tell what's wrong with it?
>
> I committed a small fix to try to address this, can you please try it?

Thanks, the problem is solved, GG works!

--

@ 2011-10-31 22:19                 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-10-31 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 20:58:01 +0100 pmlists@free.fr (Peter Münster) wrote:

PM> On Mon, Oct 31 2011, Ted Zlatanov wrote:

PM> And the original error remains:
PM> Symbol's value as variable is void: gnus-registry-enabled
PM> Even after loading gnus-registry... :(
>>
TZ> As with Jose's post, I can't replicate the problem.  Could anyone else
TZ> try `nnir-mode' and see if they can tell what's wrong with it?
>>
>> I committed a small fix to try to address this, can you please try it?

PM> Thanks, the problem is solved, GG works!

There's still a problem with XEmacs, which I will try to fix.  Sorry for
the inconvenience.

Ted

* Re: problem with gnus-group-make-nnir-group
@ 2011-10-31 23:34                   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-10-31 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 18:19:19 -0400 Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> wrote:

TZ> There's still a problem with XEmacs, which I will try to fix.  Sorry for
TZ> the inconvenience.

I've fixed it, according to the Gnus Buildbot.  Let me know if you have
more problems with `gnus-registry-enabled'.

Ted

* Re: problem with gnus-group-make-nnir-group
@ 2011-11-01  0:01               ` Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz @ 2011-11-01  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi Ted,

On Mon, Oct 31 2011, Ted Zlatanov wrote:

[...]

> jao> But both `gnus-registry-enabled' *and* `gnus-bound-and-true-p'
> jao> are undefined when nnir is loaded.  gnus-registry.el does define
> jao> the former, but not the latter function, and in my emacs session
> jao> (fboundp 'gnus-bound-and-true-p) returns nil.
>
> I don't know how that's possible.  nnir.el has
>
> (defvar gnus-registry-enabled)

The variable is declared, but still unbound: trying to use it will raise
an error (because it has no value).

> and loads gnus-util.el, which defines `gnus-bound-and-true-p'.

This is a macro defined inside an eval-when-compile: the packaged Emacs
comes with a compiled version (gnus-util.elc), and it's the compiled
file that gets loaded when (require 'gnus-util) is called.  The idiom of
wrapping macros in an eval-when-compile form is intended for macros that
are going to be used in the same file that defines them.

> So this problem should not happen, and does not happen on the Gnus
> Buildbot either.  Can you think of something that could be causing the
> problem for you but not for me and the Buildbot?

Unless i'm missing something, the only explanation i have is that you're
the case?

Cheers,
jao
--
"People sometimes ask me if it is a sin in the Church of Emacs to use vi.
 Using a free version of vi is not a sin; it's a penance".

* Re: problem with gnus-group-make-nnir-group
@ 2011-11-01  0:54                 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-11-01  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 01:01:41 +0100 "Jose A. Ortega Ruiz" <jao@gnu.org> wrote:

>> I don't know how that's possible.  nnir.el has
>>
>> (defvar gnus-registry-enabled)

jao> The variable is declared, but still unbound: trying to use it will raise
jao> an error (because it has no value).

Normally yes, but `gnus-bound-and-true-p' is a macro whose entire reason
for existence is to avoid that situation.  How annoying.

>> and loads gnus-util.el, which defines `gnus-bound-and-true-p'.

jao> This is a macro defined inside an eval-when-compile: the packaged Emacs
jao> comes with a compiled version (gnus-util.elc), and it's the compiled
jao> file that gets loaded when (require 'gnus-util) is called.  The idiom of
jao> wrapping macros in an eval-when-compile form is intended for macros that
jao> are going to be used in the same file that defines them.

Thanks for explaining.  Yeah, I see the problem and was kind of figuring
it out myself gradually but you've made it clear :)

I think, then, that simply taking that macro out of the
`eval-when-compile' should be enough.  But I brought that macro out of
retirement and it's only used by me in situations where performance does
not matter.  So I think it's OK to just go with the
`gnus-bound-and-true-dumber-p' version I just committed and get rid of
the original macro.  WDYT?

Thanks
Ted

* Re: problem with gnus-group-make-nnir-group
@ 2011-11-01  1:46                   ` Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz @ 2011-11-01  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, Nov 01 2011, Ted Zlatanov wrote:

[...]

> I think, then, that simply taking that macro out of the
> `eval-when-compile' should be enough.  But I brought that macro out of
> retirement and it's only used by me in situations where performance
> does not matter.  So I think it's OK to just go with the
> `gnus-bound-and-true-dumber-p' version I just committed and get rid of
> the original macro.  WDYT?

I wouldn't call it dumber, but, other than that, sounds good to me :)

Thanks a lot for your quick response and fix!

Cheers,
jao
--
"Only the creatively intelligent can prosper in the Lisp world."
 -Richard Gabriel

* Re: problem with gnus-group-make-nnir-group
@ 2011-11-01 13:55                     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-11-01 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 02:46:01 +0100 "Jose A. Ortega Ruiz" <jao@gnu.org> wrote:

jao> I wouldn't call it dumber, but, other than that, sounds good to me :)

The name was definitely temporary :)  It's renamed to
`gnus-bound-and-true-p' now.

Ted

* Re: problem with gnus-group-make-nnir-group
@ 2011-11-03  7:50             ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2011-11-03  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Mon, Oct 31 2011, Ted Zlatanov wrote:

> PM> But how should I load nxhtml then?
>
> I believe we're using the latest ERT.  Could nxhtml also update to that,
> if they are not?

Fixed in nxhtml bzr: ert.el has been renamed to ertn.el.
-> https://bugs.launchpad.net/nxhtml/+bug/884403

--

@ 2011-11-03 21:44               ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-11-03 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)