From: Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: message splitting gone haywire
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 15:21:37 -0500	[thread overview]

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 20:49:14 +0200 asjo@koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) wrote:

AS> On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 07:47:22 -0500, Ted wrote:
>> '(choice :tag "Splitting strategy"
>> (const :tag "Only use single choices, discard multiple matches" nil)
>> (const :tag "Majority of matches wins" majority)
>> (const :tag "First found wins"  first))

>> Have you customized this?  My guess is you have 'first and the first
>> group in the list was from the oldest reference.

>> Maybe I should add 'oldest and 'newest strategies...  We have the
>> article notice dates in the registry.

AS> Why not have Gnus prompt the user?

AS> "This article doesn't have a well defined destination, go by first (this
AS> time only), majority (now and forever), skip (the three next times),
AS> last (for the next 20 minutes), nearest (from next time and then on),
AS> random, or randomly select a method (for a random period of time)
AS> (f/m/s/l/n/r/R)?"

I could add 'ask, but we're talking potentially hundreds of these
prompts during splitting.  Also I don't think a temporary splitting
strategy is a good thing because you won't necessarily know where things
went if you split 20 minutes later.  Similarly the random choice can
cause confusion.

I think the only choices available from 'ask should be 'first,
'majority, and 'newest.  Once chosen they should persist until the end
of the session, using the Customize system.  The user can save the
preference at that point.

I need to add better logging to tell the user what happened.  Maybe a
registry-split-log buffer?

Thanks
Ted