From: Chunyu Wang <cymacs@gmail.com>
To: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Gnus nnimap doesn't decode Gmail's imap labels(folders)
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 14:52:10 +0800	[thread overview]

> I think this has been fixed a couple of weeks ago.

Sorry, it's still not work now. Only in *Gnus Browse Server* buffer,
Gnus can decode Chinese group name correctly, get in summary buffer and
read mails. The *Group* buffer is still as before. The following details
the situation.

    rm -rf ~/Mail ~/News ~/.*.eld ~/.newsrc-dribble
    emacs -q
    M-x (setq gnus-select-method '(nnimap "imap.gmail.com"))
    M-x gnus

In *Message* buffer (or minibuffer):

    (nnimap "imap.gmail.com")
    Opening connection to imap.gmail.com via tls...
    Subscribe newsgroup: [Gmail]/+YkBnCZCuTvY
    Subscribe newsgroup: [Gmail]/+kc2JgQ
    Subscribe newsgroup: Notes
    Subscribe newsgroup: [Gmail]/+XfJT0ZCuTvY
    Subscribe newsgroup: [Gmail]/+g0l6Pw
    Subscribe newsgroup: [Gmail]/+XfJSoGYfaAc
    Subscribe newsgroup: INBOX
    Subscribe newsgroup: [Gmail]
    Opening nnfolder server on archive...done
    8 new newsgroups have arrived
    [...]

And in *Group* buffer:
       0: INBOX
       0: Notes
       0: [Gmail]
       0: [Gmail]/+XfJSoGYfaAc
       0: [Gmail]/+XfJT0ZCuTvY
       0: [Gmail]/+g0l6Pw
       0: [Gmail]/+kc2JgQ
       0: [Gmail]/+YkBnCZCuTvY
       0: nndraft:drafts

Gnus can't read these groups. If I type '^' to get in *Server* buffer:

     {nnfolder:archive} (opened)
     {nnimap:imap.gmail.com} (opened)

and hit RET on the second line with nnimap:imap.gmail.com to goto the *Gnus
Browse Server* buffer:

    7062: INBOX
      11: Notes
K      0: [Gmail]/已加星标
K   1988: [Gmail]/已发邮件
K  18293: [Gmail]/所有邮件
K      0: [Gmail]/草稿
K    555: [Gmail]/重要

Gnus can decode the correct buffer name, but not suscribed. If I type u and
RET on a single line, Gnus can get in summary buffer and read mails. But with
the following undecode messages echoed in the minibuffer(and *Message*
buffer), and it seems like another decode(charset) problem.

  Subscribe newsgroup: [Gmail]/\346\211\200\346\234\211\351\202\256\344\273\266

With two q back to *Group* buffer, Gnus subscribed the 'correct' name group, but
the group can't be read.

       0: INBOX
       0: Notes
       0: [Gmail]
       0: [Gmail]/+XfJSoGYfaAc
       0: [Gmail]/+XfJT0ZCuTvY
       0: [Gmail]/+g0l6Pw
       0: [Gmail]/+kc2JgQ
       0: [Gmail]/+YkBnCZCuTvY
==>    *: [Gmail]/所有邮件
       0: nndraft:drafts

If I hit RET on that 'correct' group (line) in *Group* buffer, the following error
message shows up.

  gnus-select-newsgroup: Couldn't activate group [Gmail]/所有邮件: BAD Invalid Command

It seems like Gnus use wrong encode group name for some kind of command.