* How to subscribe new groups to specific topic
@ 2011-02-22 16:40 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2011-02-22 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I'd like to have new groups be subscribed to a specific topic, not
heirarchically, alphabetically or etc.

Looking to customize this variable:
`gnus-subscribe-newsgroup-method'

But I don't see any choices in the doc strings that would do what I
want.

The default is `gnus-subscribe-zombies'

The customize page for `gnus-subscribe-newsgroup-method' shows:

  Hide Gnus Subscribe Newsgroup Method:
  ( ) gnus-subscribe-randomly
          Subscribe new NEWSGROUP by making it the first newsgroup.
  ( ) gnus-subscribe-alphabetically
          Subscribe new NEWGROUP and insert it in alphabetical order.
  ( ) gnus-subscribe-hierarchically
          Subscribe new NEWGROUP and insert it in hierarchical ng order.
  ( ) gnus-subscribe-interactively
          Subscribe the new GROUP interactively. More
  ( ) gnus-subscribe-killed
          Make the new GROUP a killed group.
  (*) gnus-subscribe-zombies
          Make the new GROUP into a zombie group.
  ( ) gnus-subscribe-topics
  ( ) Function: ignore
  ( ) Repeat:
      INS

And further:

   Function(s) called with a group name when new group is detected. Hide
   A few pre-made functions are supplied: `gnus-subscribe-randomly'
   inserts new groups at the beginning of the list of groups;
   `gnus-subscribe-alphabetically' inserts new groups in strict
   alphabetic order; `gnus-subscribe-hierarchically' inserts new groups
   in hierarchical newsgroup order; `gnus-subscribe-interactively' asks
   for your decision; `gnus-subscribe-killed' kills all new groups;
   `gnus-subscribe-zombies' will make all new groups into zombies;
   `gnus-subscribe-topics' will enter groups into the topics that
   claim them.

I guess `gnus-subscribe-interactively' might be a choice but I'd think
it might be quite a bit of time involved occassionally when large numbers
of newgroups have shown up.

That last one `gnus-subscribe-topics' looks promissing but not clear at
all how to create a function with topic that would attract all newgroups.

Can anyone help me put together a function or use the available ones to
cause all new groups to appear in a topic called NEWGROUPS

I run in topic mode as a matter of habit so that would be the handiest
way to do it I think.

* Re: How to subscribe new groups to specific topic
@ 2011-02-23  8:12 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-02-23  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> I'd like to have new groups be subscribed to a specific topic, not
> heirarchically, alphabetically or etc.

The easiest way is probably to add a `subscribe' parameter to the topic
matching the groups you want to have in that topic.

* Re: How to subscribe new groups to specific topic
@ 2011-02-23 15:44   ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2011-02-23 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> I'd like to have new groups be subscribed to a specific topic, not
>> heirarchically, alphabetically or etc.
>
> The easiest way is probably to add a `subscribe' parameter to the topic
> matching the groups you want to have in that topic.

I didn't follow this at all.  I probably phrased my request horribly
so trying again.

New groups show up over time.

I want them, (regardless of where they might fit topic wise) to show
up (at first, until I move them or sort them, or kill them) in a
specific group in my topic style setup.

I'm not seeing how I could `match' the groups when they are unknown
and may be anything really.

Can you show an example of what you are suggesting (just a quick draft
or right off the top of your fertile grey matter).

* Re: How to subscribe new groups to specific topic
@ 2011-02-25  3:06     ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2011-02-25  3:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> I want them, (regardless of where they might fit topic wise) to show
> up (at first, until I move them or sort them, or kill them) in a
> specific group in my topic style setup.

Add

(subscribe . ".*")

to the topic parameters of the topic you want them to show up in.

* Re: How to subscribe new groups to specific topic
@ 2011-02-25 21:34       ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2011-02-25 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> I want them, (regardless of where they might fit topic wise) to show
>> up (at first, until I move them or sort them, or kill them) in a
>> specific group in my topic style setup.
>
> Add
>
> (subscribe . ".*")
>
> to the topic parameters of the topic you want them to show up in.

Egad what a nitwit I am... of course, of course... the trusty old `.*'