From: Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: When groups arrive
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2010 17:52:31 -0500	[thread overview]

Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org> writes:

>> Rupert Swarbrick <rswarbrick@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Have you tried doing something like "A m ." to list all the groups
>>> rather than just ones to which you're subscribed?
>>
>> Yes, that was my first try.
>>
>> However I have such a large number, and not knowing names I'm looking
>> for I is a bit of a chore to determine what is new.
>
> The default is to subscribe new groups as zombies, so A z should do it.

A z shows 2790 groups. Determining which are new is a non-starter.

I see language in the manual on this topic that seems to indicate I
could create a `Topic parameter' with a catchall regex for a name, and any
new groups that match would go there.

-------        ---------       ---=---       ---------      --------
`gnus-subscribe-topics'
     Put the groups into the topic that has a matching `subscribe' topic
     parameter (*note Topic Parameters::).  For instance, a `subscribe'
     topic parameter that looks like

          "nnslashdot"

     will mean that all groups that match that regex will be subscribed
     under that topic.

     If no topics match the groups, the groups will be subscribed in the
     top-level topic.

from: (info "(gnus)Subscription Methods")

I was somewhat confused with that as it does not spell out what this
might look like in use.

The reference to `Topic Parameters'  (info "(gnus)Topic Parameters")
Further confused me until I'm not sure where or what syntax would be
needed to do something like:

Use a `Topic parameter like  `.' (dot)  to  catch any new groups from now on?

Can anyone show an example of how that might be done?