* gnus-single-article-buffer (was: idea for GMane: treat RSS feeds as mailing lists)
       [not found]                                   ` <87lj7zx2gm.fsf@hariville.hurrynot.org>
@ 2010-09-02 10:40                                     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-09-02 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: gmane-discuss

On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 23:39:13 +0530 Raja R Harinath <harinath@hurrynot.org> wrote:

RRH> As I mentioned in the other e-mail, you need to have
RRH> gnus-single-article-buffer set to nil.

RRH> It's got to do with how 'gnus-article-setup-buffer' tries to optimize
RRH> out some settings on a pre-existing *Article* buffer.  This includes
RRH> skipping the setting of the group/topic parameters as buffer-local
RRH> variables, and also skipping the clearing of stale buffer-local
RRH> variables left over from previous groups.

RRH> Yeah, this is a gnus bug, but a lot of the guilty parties appear to be
RRH> on this newsgroup ;-)

This bit me with the new gnus-html.el renderer.  I think
gnus-single-article-buffer should either default to nil or go away
altogether.  I don't see any benefit to keeping it t.

Ted

* Re: gnus-single-article-buffer
@ 2010-09-02 10:57                                       ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-09-02 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: gmane-discuss

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> This bit me with the new gnus-html.el renderer.  I think
> gnus-single-article-buffer should either default to nil or go away
> altogether.  I don't see any benefit to keeping it t.

I flipped the default to nil during last night's default-flipping
session...

* Re: gnus-single-article-buffer
@ 2010-09-02 12:32                                         ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-09-02 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: gmane-discuss

On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 12:57:32 +0200 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

LMI> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>> This bit me with the new gnus-html.el renderer.  I think
>> gnus-single-article-buffer should either default to nil or go away
>> altogether.  I don't see any benefit to keeping it t.

LMI> I flipped the default to nil during last night's default-flipping
LMI> session...

Why do we need it at all?  Is there anyone that wants it t?

@ 2010-09-02 12:41                                           ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-09-02 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: gmane-discuss

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> Why do we need it at all?  Is there anyone that wants it t?

It's been the default behaviour for 30 years, so I would guess that
somebody would miss it.

* Re: gnus-single-article-buffer
@ 2010-09-02 13:32                                             ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-09-02 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: gmane-discuss

On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 14:41:32 +0200 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

LMI> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>> Why do we need it at all?  Is there anyone that wants it t?

LMI> It's been the default behaviour for 30 years, so I would guess that
LMI> somebody would miss it.

I'm willing to put up with user complaints (resolving bugs, finding
workarounds, etc.) if it simplifies and improves the code.  But maybe we
should keep it nil for a year, mark it deprecated, and see who
complains.

@ 2010-09-02 14:05                                               ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-09-02 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: gmane-discuss

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> I'm willing to put up with user complaints (resolving bugs, finding
> workarounds, etc.) if it simplifies and improves the code.  But maybe we
> should keep it nil for a year, mark it deprecated, and see who
> complains.

Yup.

* Re: gnus-single-article-buffer
@ 2010-09-03 12:53                                                 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-09-03 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: gmane-discuss

On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 16:05:27 +0200 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

LMI> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>> I'm willing to put up with user complaints (resolving bugs, finding
>> workarounds, etc.) if it simplifies and improves the code.  But maybe we
>> should keep it nil for a year, mark it deprecated, and see who
>> complains.

LMI> Yup.

I can't find a way to do that with defcustom.  Should it just be in the manual?

@ 2010-09-03 12:58                                                   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2010-09-03 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: gmane-discuss

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> I can't find a way to do that with defcustom.  Should it just be in
> the manual?

Hm.  I thought one could mark variables as deprecated...

If not, just note it in the manual.

* Re: gnus-single-article-buffer
@ 2010-09-03 13:10                                                     ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2010-09-03 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: gmane-discuss

On 2010-09-03 13:58 +0100, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Hm.  I thought one could mark variables as deprecated...
>
> If not, just note it in the manual.

There is `define-obsolete-variable-alias' in 23.2.

Leo

* Re: gnus-single-article-buffer
@ 2010-09-03 16:42                                                       ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2010-09-03 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding, gmane-discuss

On Fri, Sep 03 2010, Leo wrote:

> On 2010-09-03 13:58 +0100, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:
>> Hm.  I thought one could mark variables as deprecated...
>>
>> If not, just note it in the manual.
>
> There is `define-obsolete-variable-alias' in 23.2.

If there is no new variable to use instead (CURRENT-NAME = string),
`make-obsolete-variable' should be fine.

,----[ <f1> f define-obsolete-variable-alias RET ]

`----

,----[ <f1> f make-obsolete-variable RET ]
| make-obsolete-variable is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
| `byte-run.el'.
| (make-obsolete-variable OBSOLETE-NAME CURRENT-NAME &optional WHEN)
|
| Make the byte-compiler warn that OBSOLETE-NAME is obsolete.
| The warning will say that CURRENT-NAME should be used instead.
| If CURRENT-NAME is a string, that is the `use instead' message.
| If provided, WHEN should be a string indicating when the variable
| was first made obsolete, for example a date or a release number.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,