From: Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: unsent messages
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 17:36:49 -0700	[thread overview]

Every once in a while (maybe once or twice a week, on average), I send a
mail via gnus that doesn't actually get sent: gnus believes it has sent
the message, it is archived into my Sent group, but the message does not
actually go out. All my email accounts are served via google app
domains, and I use msmtp for outgoing mail. When I discover that a sent
message has not been sent (often a week or two after the fact), I can
see that it does not appear in my msmtp.log file. So the crack it's
falling through is somewhere between gnus and msmtp.

My relevant settings seem to be:

(setq message-send-mail-function 'message-send-mail-with-sendmail)
(setq sendmail-program "/usr/bin/msmtp")

Gnus is v5.13, msmtp is 1.4.20, emacs is 23.2.1.

I've also got a message-send-mail-hook that switches the outgoing msmtp
account based on the From header of outgoing messages, which I found
here: http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusMSMTP#toc1  I'm using it just
as it appears there.

I guess I'd just like to know how to ensure some sort of transaction
integrity here: either it goes out and really does go, or it blows up
and I know about it. Can anyone tell me if there are places in this
chain where errors could be muffled?

Thanks very much!

Eric