* Migrating from Mutt
@ 2009-02-03 19:27 Chris Willard
From: Chris Willard @ 2009-02-03 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello All,

I am currently using Mutt for email and would like to try using gnus as I spend lots of time using emacs.

My current setup is as follows.

1) Email arrives into port 25 of my ESVA spam filter system (http://www.global-domination.org).
2) Allowed emails are sent to port 25 of my ubuntu system.
3) Procmail filters the emails and puts them in ~/Mail/file-name
4) Other mail goes into /var/mail/chris

I had a quick go at getting gnus to work by entering the following into ~/.gnus

,----
| ----- gnus settings
| (setq gnus-select-method '(nnml ""))
|
| (setq nnmail-spool-file '(
|    (file :path "/var/mail/chris")
| ))
`----

I could not see any mail in gnus but it dissapeared from /var/mail/chris

Any tips would be useful to get me started plus in there a way to leave mail in /var/mail/chris while I am learing gnus?

Also there seem to be many ways to store the mail! Is any method best?

Finally I have found people running a local IMAP server to access mail. Is this a good way to do it?

Regards,

Chris

--
-----------(   "No Fear," said Elijah, as he gave Ahab the    )------------
-----------(                weather forecast.                 )------------

* Re: Migrating from Mutt
@ 2009-02-03 19:36 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2009-02-03 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 19:27:32 +0000, Chris wrote:

> I could not see any mail in gnus but it dissapeared from /var/mail/chris

Didn't it turn up in Gnus in mail.misc (or nnml:mail.misc), or
something?

Did Gnus put it in ~/Mail/ somewhere?

What happens if you press L in your *Groups* buffer after starting Gnus?

> Also there seem to be many ways to store the mail! Is any method best?

For local storage (i.e. slurp mail into Gnus), I like nnml: - I don't
really know any good reason to use something else, if you're going to
use Gnus to read email exclusively.

(I generally do this and only read mail on the machine I do that on; if
I am physically elsewhere, I just ssh to the machine and use gnuclient
to access the always-running XEmacs-with-Gnus).

My usage is quite simple, but works well for my use-pattern.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "You know, if the sun was an oboe, what would you do?"       Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Migrating from Mutt
@ 2009-02-04 12:46   ` Chris Willard
From: Chris Willard @ 2009-02-04 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 03 Feb 2009, Adam Sj?gren wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 19:27:32 +0000, Chris wrote:
>
> > I could not see any mail in gnus but it dissapeared from /var/mail/chris
>
> Didn't it turn up in Gnus in mail.misc (or nnml:mail.misc), or
> something?
>
> Did Gnus put it in ~/Mail/ somewhere?
I found messages in ~/Mail/mail/misc/1 and ~/Mail/mail/misc/1 - each
containing 1 message. This did not show anywhere in the groups buffer.

> What happens if you press L in your *Groups* buffer after starting Gnus?
I pressed L and nndraft:queue and nndraft:draft appeared.

[snip (29 lines)]

Do I need to add more to my .gnus to see the mails?

Regards,

Chris

--
... "Bad FAT" means disk has high cholesterol?

* Re: Migrating from Mutt
@ 2009-02-04 17:47     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2009-02-04 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 12:46:25 +0000, Chris wrote:

>> Didn't it turn up in Gnus in mail.misc (or nnml:mail.misc), or
>> something?

>> Did Gnus put it in ~/Mail/ somewhere?

> I found messages in ~/Mail/mail/misc/1 and ~/Mail/mail/misc/1 - each
> containing 1 message. This did not show anywhere in the groups buffer.

Ok, I think you just need to subscribe to the groups.

One way to find them is to go to the server-buffer, press ^ in the
*Groups* buffer, and then press RET on the nnml: server. Then you can
subscribe to the groups with u, I think.

It has been a while since I started from scratch with a Gnus
installation, so there may be easier/better ways.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--

@ 2009-02-04 18:04     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2009-02-04 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Wed, Feb 04 2009, Chris Willard wrote:

> I found messages in ~/Mail/mail/misc/1 and ~/Mail/mail/misc/1 - each
> containing 1 message. This did not show anywhere in the groups buffer.

I think `F' (`gnus-group-find-new-groups') in the *Group* buffer
should make them show up.

,----[ <f1> f gnus-group-find-new-groups RET ]
| gnus-group-find-new-groups is an interactive compiled Lisp function
| in `gnus-group.el'.
| (gnus-group-find-new-groups &optional ARG)
|
| Search for new groups and add them.
| Each new group will be treated with `gnus-subscribe-newsgroup-method'.
| With 1 C-u, use the `ask-server' method to query the server for new
| groups.
| With 2 C-u's, use most complete method possible to query the server
| for new groups, and subscribe the new groups as zombies.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Migrating from Mutt
@ 2009-02-04 22:04       ` Chris Willard
From: Chris Willard @ 2009-02-04 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Sj?gren; +Cc: ding

On Wed, 04 Feb 2009, Adam Sj?gren wrote:

[snip (12 lines)]
> One way to find them is to go to the server-buffer, press ^ in the
> *Groups* buffer, and then press RET on the nnml: server. Then you can
> subscribe to the groups with u, I think.
[snip (20 lines)]

Thanks for the tip. This worked. I just need to learn how to use it
now!

Regards,

Chris

--