* Broken auto filling in message mode with Emacs/Gnus from CVS (some hours old)
@ 2008-11-28 11:32 Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2008-11-28 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi all,

I use auto-fill-mode in message buffers (Emacs 23 from CVS with the Gnus
bundled with it).  After a quotation like this one

> foo foo bar foo foo bar foo foo bar foo foo bar foo foo bar foo foo
> bar foo foo bar foo foo bar foo foo bar foo foo bar foo foo bar foo
> foo bar foo foo bar foo foo bar foo foo bar foo foo bar foo foo bar

the auto filling goes crazy.  Let's see what happens when it'll fill at\*/
> the end of the line.  Seen it?  Why does it insert \*/ at the first
line and > at the next?  And why is the line break in the last line ok
again?

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Broken auto filling in message mode with Emacs/Gnus from CVS (some hours old)
@ 2008-11-28 12:00 ` Paul R
From: Paul R @ 2008-11-28 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Tassilo> the auto filling goes crazy. Let's see what happens when it'll
Tassilo> fill at\*/
>> the end of the line. Seen it? Why does it insert \*/ at the first

Yes, seen here on fresh checkout. Very embarassing.

--
  Paul

* Re: Broken auto filling in message mode with Emacs/Gnus from CVS (some hours old)
@ 2008-11-29 10:59 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-11-29 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Fri, Nov 28 2008, Tassilo Horn wrote:

> I use auto-fill-mode in message buffers (Emacs 23 from CVS with the Gnus
> bundled with it).  After a quotation like this one

I'm suspect that a change in Emacs 23 (not in Message/Gnus) caused
this because there have been not relevant change in message.el for a
long time and I don't see it in Emacs 22 (with current Gnus).

> the auto filling goes crazy.  Let's see what happens when it'll fill at\*/
>> the end of the line.  Seen it?  Why does it insert \*/ at the first
> line and > at the next?  And why is the line break in the last line ok
> again?

Sorry, I don't understand your example.  Please give us a precise test
case, e.g. ...

- C-x C-b *testcase* RET

- M-x message-mode RET

- Text before filling (use <Message> <Insert Region Marked>)

- hitting M-q (or did you do something else?) with point at letter x

- Text after filling (use <Message> <Insert Region Marked>)

- value of `fill-column'

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Broken auto filling in message mode with Emacs/Gnus from CVS (some hours old)
@ 2008-11-29 17:34   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2008-11-29 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi Reiner,

> Sorry, I don't understand your example.

When I write some text after an quotation, just like now, when the line
is broken into the next line (by auto-fill-mode) a \*/ is inserted as
last thing before the \n.

> Please give us a precise test case, e.g. ...

I'd like to, but now I cannot reproduce it anymore.  If it happens
again, I'll create a test case.

Bye,
Tassilo
--