* Deleting Messages from an IMAP Folder
@ 2008-04-11 12:37 Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 2008-04-11 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

How do I delete a read message from an IMAP folder?  if I press the DEL
key, the 'R' becomes an 'r' but the message does not actually get
deleted when I exit the folder.

For what it's worth, for folders where I have expiry set up, messages
are deleted fine.

My IMAP select method looks like this:

        (nnimap "exchange-d01"
                (nnimap-address "exchange-d01.ppllc.com")
                (nnimap-stream ssl)
                (nnimap-authenticator login)
                (nnimap-list-pattern "*")
                (nnimap-expunge-on-close always)
                )

Other relevant settings look like this:

(setq imap-use-utf7 nil)
(setq nnimap-split-inbox "INBOX")
(setq nnimap-split-crosspost nil)
(setq nnimap-split-rule 'nnimap-split-fancy)
(setq nnimap-split-fancy
      '(|
        (: gnus-registry-split-fancy-with-parent)
        (: spam-split 'spam-use-regex-headers)
        (....)
        ))

TIA!

...Jake

--
Jake Colman
Director of Software Development

* Re: Deleting Messages from an IMAP Folder
@ 2008-04-11 12:50 ` Elias Oltmanns
From: Elias Oltmanns @ 2008-04-11 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> wrote:
> How do I delete a read message from an IMAP folder?  if I press the DEL
> key, the 'R' becomes an 'r' but the message does not actually get
> deleted when I exit the folder.

Have you tried B-DEL?

Hope that helps,

Elias

* Re: Deleting Messages from an IMAP Folder
@ 2008-04-16 19:12   ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-04-16 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Elias Oltmanns; +Cc: ding

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 14:50:15 +0200 Elias Oltmanns <eo@nebensachen.de> wrote:

EO> Jake Colman <colman@ppllc.com> wrote:
>> How do I delete a read message from an IMAP folder?  if I press the DEL
>> key, the 'R' becomes an 'r' but the message does not actually get
>> deleted when I exit the folder.

EO> Have you tried B-DEL?

An alternative approach is to mark articles as expired (`E').  Just make
sure nnimap-expunge-on-close is not overridden from the default 'always,
and every time you close the group those expired articles will be
expunged (in IMAP terms).  They are really marked as \Deleted on the
server before EXPUNGE, but that's an implementation detail.  There's two
parameters that affect this, auto-expire and total-expire, that you can
use to control this process.

Ted

* Re: Deleting Messages from an IMAP Folder
@ 2008-04-16 23:22 ` Greg Troxel
From: Greg Troxel @ 2008-04-16 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jake Colman; +Cc: ding

  How do I delete a read message from an IMAP folder?  if I press the DEL
  key, the 'R' becomes an 'r' but the message does not actually get
  deleted when I exit the folder.

I read mail in IMAP, and want to use for my inbox the explicit delete
approach, as opposed to the auto-expirable approach.  And, I want things
to go away immediately, not be marked expirable, since the point of
deleting is to stop seeing them.  I also use thunderbird against the
same server.

So I have the following in my .emacs, more or less (plus scoring
functions that you or someone might find useful, but aren't relevant to
your question):

(setq gdt-trash-newsgroup "nnimap+my.server.name:Trash")

(defun gdt-gnus-move-to-trash ()
  (interactive)
  (gnus-summary-move-article nil gdt-trash-newsgroup))

(defalias 'score-subject-fuzzy-lower-next
  (read-kbd-macro "Lsft RET n"))
(defalias 'score-subject-fuzzy-lower-nextscore
  (read-kbd-macro "Lsft RET ,"))

(add-hook
 'gnus-summary-mode-hook
 (lambda ()
   (local-set-key "k" 'score-subject-fuzzy-lower-next)
   (local-set-key "\v" 'score-subject-fuzzy-lower-nextscore)
   (local-set-key "d" 'gdt-gnus-move-to-trash)))

Now, gnus behaves like a normal mailreader, and pushing 'd' moves the
message to my Trash folder.  If I were more together, I'd pass optional
arguments so I could use the process mark or arguments with d, but I
haven't gotten a round tuit.

* Re: Deleting Messages from an IMAP Folder
@ 2008-04-17 18:06   ` Jake Colman
From: Jake Colman @ 2008-04-17 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Troxel; +Cc: ding

   GT>   How do I delete a read message from an IMAP folder?  if I press
   GT>   the DEL key, the 'R' becomes an 'r' but the message does not
   GT>   actually get deleted when I exit the folder.

   GT> I read mail in IMAP, and want to use for my inbox the explicit
   GT> delete approach, as opposed to the auto-expirable approach.  And,
   GT> I want things to go away immediately, not be marked expirable,
   GT> since the point of deleting is to stop seeing them.  I also use
   GT> thunderbird against the same server.

   GT> So I have the following in my .emacs, more or less (plus scoring
   GT> functions that you or someone might find useful, but aren't
   GT> relevant to your question):

   GT> (setq gdt-trash-newsgroup "nnimap+my.server.name:Trash")

   GT> (defun gdt-gnus-move-to-trash ()
   GT>   (interactive)
   GT>   (gnus-summary-move-article nil gdt-trash-newsgroup))

   GT> (defalias 'score-subject-fuzzy-lower-next
   GT>   (read-kbd-macro "Lsft RET n"))
   GT> (defalias 'score-subject-fuzzy-lower-nextscore
   GT>   (read-kbd-macro "Lsft RET ,"))

   GT> (add-hook
   GT>  'gnus-summary-mode-hook
   GT>  (lambda ()
   GT>    (local-set-key "k" 'score-subject-fuzzy-lower-next)
   GT>    (local-set-key " " 'score-subject-fuzzy-lower-nextscore)
   GT>    (local-set-key "d" 'gdt-gnus-move-to-trash)))

   GT> Now, gnus behaves like a normal mailreader, and pushing 'd' moves
   GT> the message to my Trash folder.  If I were more together, I'd
   GT> pass optional arguments so I could use the process mark or
   GT> arguments with d, but I haven't gotten a round tuit.

Beautiful!  This is exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks!

...Jake

--

@ 2008-04-17 19:25   ` Zlatko Calusic
From: Zlatko Calusic @ 2008-04-17 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Troxel; +Cc: ding

Greg Troxel <gdt@work.lexort.com> writes:

>   How do I delete a read message from an IMAP folder?  if I press the DEL
>   key, the 'R' becomes an 'r' but the message does not actually get
>   deleted when I exit the folder.
>
> I read mail in IMAP, and want to use for my inbox the explicit delete
> approach, as opposed to the auto-expirable approach.  And, I want things
> to go away immediately, not be marked expirable, since the point of
> deleting is to stop seeing them.  I also use thunderbird against the
> same server.
>
> So I have the following in my .emacs, more or less (plus scoring
> functions that you or someone might find useful, but aren't relevant to
> your question):
>

> (setq gdt-trash-newsgroup "nnimap+my.server.name:Trash")
>
> (defun gdt-gnus-move-to-trash ()
>   (interactive)
>   (gnus-summary-move-article nil gdt-trash-newsgroup))
>
> (defalias 'score-subject-fuzzy-lower-next
>   (read-kbd-macro "Lsft RET n"))
> (defalias 'score-subject-fuzzy-lower-nextscore
>   (read-kbd-macro "Lsft RET ,"))
>
> (add-hook
>  'gnus-summary-mode-hook
>  (lambda ()
>    (local-set-key "k" 'score-subject-fuzzy-lower-next)
>    (local-set-key "\v" 'score-subject-fuzzy-lower-nextscore)
>    (local-set-key "d" 'gdt-gnus-move-to-trash)))

Thank you Greg, I was looking for some simple solution like this, too.
--
Zlatko