* death to nnrss-snarf-moreover-categories
       [not found] <mailman.8203.1204528522.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2008-03-15  3:52 ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2008-03-15  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Try (nnrss-generate-download-script)#!/bin/sh
I did and it revealed 500 lines related to "p.moreover.com".
500 groups, gentlemen.
I have traced it to this innocent enough looking question in nnrss.el:
(y-or-n-p "Fetch extra categories? ") that sucker me must have said yes to.
OK, so how does one clean up this massive ADWARE?
I see those 500 groups are hiding out in ~/News/rss/nnrss.el
(which I note is brilliantly named the same as
/usr/share/emacs/*/lisp/gnus/nnrss.el. Why couldn't they call it nnrss.eld?)
Must one edit the raw file? Even (gnus-group-list-all-groups 111)
doesn't show them.

* Re: death to nnrss-snarf-moreover-categories
@ 2008-03-26  0:54   ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2008-03-26  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Using nnrss, if one accidentally answers "yes" to "Fetch extra
categories?" how can one clean all 500 of them back out of
~/News/rss/nnrss.el? I tried to edit it by hand but as it is all one
big line, emacs goes crazy with the CPU.

I could delete the file and start again, but there are also other
groups I want in there.

Maybe I need a special function like this, (but for nnrss.el -- which
should be called nnrss.eld to not confuse it with the lisp/*/nnrss.el)
(defun rs-gnus-save-newsrc-with-whitespace-1 ()
  "Save ~/.newsrc.eld with extra whitespace."
  (gnus-message 5 "Adding whitespace to .newsrc.eld")
  (save-excursion
    (goto-char (point-min))
    (while (re-search-forward "(\\\"\\| ((\\| (nn" nil t)
      (replace-match "\n  \\&" t))
    (delete-trailing-whitespace)))
(add-hook 'gnus-save-quick-newsrc-hook 'rs-gnus-save-newsrc-with-whitespace-1)

* Re: death to nnrss-snarf-moreover-categories
@ 2008-03-26  2:42     ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2008-03-26  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding; +Cc: zsh

I also note nnrss-generate-download-script makes wget lines for way
more than is needed: only subscribed groups.

It makes wget lines for all the groups a regretted answer of yes to
"Fetch extra categories?" caused, subscribed or not.

* Re: death to nnrss-snarf-moreover-categories
@ 2008-04-03 19:54       ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2008-04-03 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

OK, I was able to use (indent-pp-sexp ARG) to clean up ~/News/rss/nnrss.el.