* exploring levels 5 and 6 of subscribedness
@ 2008-01-19 11:25 jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2008-01-19 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

There is
S l	gnus-group-set-current-level
but no
        gnus-group-show-current-level
to show the level of the current group. One must dig it out of
.newsrc.eld here in "Gnus v5.11".
Indeed it would be nice to have a command show all the levels of all
the groups. All there is now is "show me all the groups below a given
level".

You see I have this group, "nnml:archive.2008", at level 5. Quite dim
in colour, but I don't want to see it at all there in the *Group*
buffer. OK, I then set it to level 6. But then it becomes
excruciatingly hard to dig it up when I do want to see it. j
(gnus-group-jump-to-group) then refuses to expand its name, etc. The
whole of gnus practically denies its existence. I never had a daughter
named Martha, etc.

At level 5 I could still mark all the articles as read and then it
acts like I want and goes just below the surface of the *Group*
swimming pool, but there are new articles accruing each day so it
becomes unread.

I'm sure http://jidanni.org/comp/.gnus.el isn't to blame.

Wait,
  L runs the command gnus-group-list-all-groups
  List all newsgroups with level ARG or lower.
  Default is `gnus-level-unsubscribed', which lists all subscribed and most
  unsubscribed groups.
OK, I now set the group to level 6, and gnus-level-unsubscribed is 7, but
the group doesn't show up after hitting L. There I am, a victim of a
*Bug* again. There are even unread articles in the group.

By the way, investigating another function,
  (defun gnus-group-list-groups (&optional level unread lowest)
    "List newsgroups with level LEVEL or lower that have unread articles.
  Default is all subscribed groups.
  If argument UNREAD is non-nil, groups with no unread articles are also
  listed.
You forgot to document LOWEST.

P.S. gnus-level-unsubscribed docstring says
  Groups with levels less than or equal to this variable are unsubscribed.
[add "...EXCEPT:"]
  Groups with levels less than `gnus-level-subscribed', which should be
  less than this variable, are subscribed.
But still this is as confusing as the Info page:
     Gnus considers groups from levels 1 to `gnus-level-subscribed'
  (inclusive) (default 5) to be subscribed, `gnus-level-subscribed'
  (exclusive) and `gnus-level-unsubscribed' (inclusive) (default 7) to be
  unsubscribed...
You probably should just make a table.

* Re: exploring levels 5 and 6 of subscribedness
@ 2008-01-20  4:38 ` Dave Goldberg
From: Dave Goldberg @ 2008-01-20  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> There is
> S l	gnus-group-set-current-level
> but no
>         gnus-group-show-current-level

There is gnus-group-group-level, but that's not an interactive function for some reason.  A long time ago I had put a wrapper for it in my init.el but it apparently fell out of use because I see I no longer have it there.

> to show the level of the current group. One must dig it out of
> .newsrc.eld here in "Gnus v5.11".
> Indeed it would be nice to have a command show all the levels of all
> the groups.

You can add %L to the group line format and you'll see it all the time.

> All there is now is "show me all the groups below a given
> level".

There's also A l which will only show groups on a given level.

> You see I have this group, "nnml:archive.2008", at level 5. Quite dim
> in colour,

I don't love the use of colors to distinguish the different levels either.  I customized that out of my way.  But then I'm satisfied with using just three levels, not counting whatever makes a group unsubscribed or killed.  I make 3 my default list level and use 4 for groups like your archive (I don't use 1 - I don't know why, it just turned out that way).

> but I don't want to see it at all there in the *Group*
> buffer. OK, I then set it to level 6. But then it becomes
> excruciatingly hard to dig it up when I do want to see it. j
> (gnus-group-jump-to-group) then refuses to expand its name, etc. The
> whole of gnus practically denies its existence. I never had a daughter
> named Martha, etc.

Yup, that unsubscribed doesn't work the way you describe you'd like it to is exactly what drove me to my current scheme.

> At level 5 I could still mark all the articles as read and then it
> acts like I want and goes just below the surface of the *Group*
> swimming pool, but there are new articles accruing each day so it
> becomes unread.

Setting your default list level lower might solve this, but may require you to reset levels on some groups.

--
Dave Goldberg
david.goldberg6@verizon.net

* Re: exploring levels 5 and 6 of subscribedness
@ 2008-01-20 17:09 ` reader
From: reader @ 2008-01-20 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

jidanni@jidanni.org writes:

> There is
> S l	gnus-group-set-current-level
> but no
>         gnus-group-show-current-level
> to show the level of the current group. One must dig it out of
> .newsrc.eld here in "Gnus v5.11".

I'm not running that version but I believe you will see the current
level when you hit S l.  I do.  And have for years I think. (Not real
sure on that last... but for a long time anyway)

Of course that only tells you one group at a time.

* Re: exploring levels 5 and 6 of subscribedness
@ 2008-01-21  1:19   ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2008-01-21  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

OK, now after L (gnus-group-list-all-groups), and
(gnus-group-jump-to-group "nnml:archive.2008")
my *Group* buffer is now
6  U  *: debian_bugs_1st           20070907T052611
6  U  *: debian_bugs               20070907T052527
6  U  *: archive.2008              20080121T014905
6  U  *: DebCentral                20060201T132119
6  U  *: /home/jidanni/tmp/THF6A-1 20041127T070706
(gnus-group-line-format: "%L%B%1{%M%}%S%p%P%2y: %(%-50,50G%) %d\n")

But when I hit L again, *poof*, "archive.2008" disappears.

We now look into .newsrc.eld,

  ("nnml:archive.2008" 6
   ((1 . 68))
   ((reply 44 49) (seen (1 . 70))) "nnml:"
   ((timestamp 18323 35217)))

As an experiment we now use gnus-group-catchup-current, giving

  ("nnml:archive.2008" 6
   ((1 . 83))
   ((seen (1 . 83)) (reply 44 49)) "nnml:"
   ((timestamp 18323 61324)))

whereupon L (gnus-group-list-all-groups) returns it to the *Group*
buffer.

Now no matter what level or not, how could a group with no unread
articles appear in the *Group* buffer, while the same group with some
unread articles disappears?

That must be a bug. Mr. Steib had better have a good explanation for this.
"Gnus v5.11" http://jidanni.org/comp/.gnus.el http://jidanni.org/comp/.emacs