* Open an mbox file?
@ 2005-02-02  0:59 Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 2005-02-02  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm going to feel so silly when someone points this out.

I have an mbox file (ndw.mbox from dspam). I want to open it, just to
extract a couple of bits of non-spam. My attempts with adding a
foreign nnmbox group don't seem to work, I get the group but it isn't
associated with the mbox file (~/ndw.mbox in this case).

Clues, please.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | The only way to make a man trustworthy
http://nwalsh.com/            | is to trust him.--Henry Stimson

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 188 bytes --]

* Re: Open an mbox file?
@ 2005-02-02  8:37 ` Hiroshi Fujishima
From: Hiroshi Fujishima @ 2005-02-02  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> writes:

> I have an mbox file (ndw.mbox from dspam). I want to open it, just to
> extract a couple of bits of non-spam. My attempts with adding a
> foreign nnmbox group don't seem to work, I get the group but it isn't
> associated with the mbox file (~/ndw.mbox in this case).

Typing `G f ~/ndw.mbox RET` in group buffer makes the group which
associated with the mbox file.

(info "(gnus)Incorporating Old Mail")

--
Hiroshi Fujishima

* Re: Open an mbox file?
@ 2005-02-02  8:40 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-02-02  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Feb 02 2005, Norman Walsh wrote:

> I have an mbox file (ndw.mbox from dspam). I want to open it, just to
> extract a couple of bits of non-spam. My attempts with adding a
> foreign nnmbox group don't seem to work, I get the group but it isn't
> associated with the mbox file (~/ndw.mbox in this case).

`G f ~/ndw.mbox RET' or `C-u G f ~/ndw.mbox RET m' ...

,----[ (info "(gnus)Foreign Groups") ]
| `G f'
|      Make a group based on some file or other
|      (`gnus-group-make-doc-group').  If you give a prefix to this
|      command, you will be prompted for a file name and a file type.
|      Currently supported types are `mbox', `babyl', `digest', `news',
|      `rnews', `mmdf', `forward', `rfc934', `rfc822-forward',
|      `mime-parts', `standard-digest', `slack-digest', `clari-briefs',
|      `nsmail', `outlook', `oe-dbx', and `mailman'.  If you run this
|      command without a prefix, Gnus will guess at the file type.  *Note
|      Document Groups::.
`----

After entering the group, just extract the non-spam articles using
copy (B c) or respool (B r).

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Open an mbox file?
@ 2005-02-02 16:30   ` John Sullivan
From: John Sullivan @ 2005-02-02 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Wed, Feb 02 2005, Norman Walsh wrote:
>
>> I have an mbox file (ndw.mbox from dspam). I want to open it, just to
>> extract a couple of bits of non-spam. My attempts with adding a
>> foreign nnmbox group don't seem to work, I get the group but it isn't
>> associated with the mbox file (~/ndw.mbox in this case).
>
> `G f ~/ndw.mbox RET' or `C-u G f ~/ndw.mbox RET m' ...

[...]
> After entering the group, just extract the non-spam articles using
> copy (B c) or respool (B r).

Depending on why the OP wants to do this, this might not work. If the reason
they want to extract some articles from a spam group is because they are not
spam, then that might mean they want to actually remove those articles from the
spam group, so that they aren't learned as spam. With this method, you can't
actually move articles _out_ of the group/file, can you?

--
-johnsu01
-http://www.wjsullivan.net

* Re: Open an mbox file?
@ 2005-02-02 21:45     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-02-02 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Feb 02 2005, John Sullivan wrote:

> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:
>
>> On Wed, Feb 02 2005, Norman Walsh wrote:
>>
>>> I have an mbox file (ndw.mbox from dspam). I want to open it, just to
>>> extract a couple of bits of non-spam. [...]
>> `G f ~/ndw.mbox RET' or `C-u G f ~/ndw.mbox RET m' ...
> [...]
>> After entering the group, just extract the non-spam articles using
>> copy (B c) or respool (B r).
>
> Depending on why the OP wants to do this, this might not work. If
> the reason they want to extract some articles from a spam group is
> because they are not spam, then that might mean they want to
> actually remove those articles from the spam group, so that they
> aren't learned as spam.

Norman wrote that he wants to get some of the messages.  At least this
is what I understood and my crystal ball didn't mention training with
a modified ndw.mbox file.

> With this method, you can't actually move articles _out_ of the
> group/file, can you?

Correct.  nndoc is read-only.

Bye, Reiner.
--