* Agent and IMAP server not in sync
@ 2003-11-26 10:40 Jørn Helge B. Dahl
From: Jørn Helge B. Dahl @ 2003-11-26 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have all my e-mails on an IMAP server, I think it's a UW-something.  I
use the agent to keep my laptop synced with it, since I cannot access
the IMAP-server from home.  I have around 30 groups on that server, with
anything from 2-3 to 1000 e-mails in them.

Once in a while I need to access some old email, so I do not want the
agent to expire any e-mails at all, but keep the server and laptop
_completely_ synced.

That has, more or less, been the case for a couple of months.  I say
more or less, because there has been some slight differences, mostly due
to the agent not fetching too big messages, I think.

But today I wanted to finetune the agent details, so I added all the
groups to the default category, set the category predicate to `true'
instead of `short', and some other small things.

Then I used the gnus-agent-expire command.  I did it because of some
e-mails still being in the agent while deleted on the server, so I
(might have :-)) thought that that would take care of it.

Anyway, that deleted (of course) all e-mails in the agent older than one
week.

So, naturally I wanted to import all old e-mail into the agent again.
The strange thing is, I cannot access _any_ of the old e-mails anytime.
When I C-u <RET> on one of the groups and enters, expecting to find all
750 (or so) e-mails, I only find one week worth of e-mail.  Pluggedness
or non-pluggedness, all the same.

The only way to actually see those messages is to remove the agent on
the server and enter the group.  But then again, I won't be able to load
it into the agent, do I? :-)

I have otherwise taken all measures to keep the e-mails in the
agent-cache.  Relevant portion of .gnus-el:

;;;; Agent
(setq agent-disable-undownloaded-faces t)
(setq gnus-agent-consider-all-articles t)
(setq gnus-agent-synchronize-flags t)
(setq gnus-agent-cache t)
(add-hook 'gnus-select-article-hook 'gnus-agent-fetch-selected-article)
;; (setq gnus-agent-handle-level 3)

--
Jørn Helge B. Dahl

* Re: Agent and IMAP server not in sync
@ 2003-11-28 18:52 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-11-28 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jørn Helge B. Dahl <jornd@users.sourceforge.net> writes:

> Then I used the gnus-agent-expire command.  I did it because of some
> e-mails still being in the agent while deleted on the server, so I
> (might have :-)) thought that that would take care of it.

Perhaps gnus-agent-regenerate is a better choice?

> So, naturally I wanted to import all old e-mail into the agent again.
> The strange thing is, I cannot access _any_ of the old e-mails anytime.
> When I C-u <RET> on one of the groups and enters, expecting to find all
> 750 (or so) e-mails, I only find one week worth of e-mail.  Pluggedness
> or non-pluggedness, all the same.

That's bad.  Pressing M-g on the group before C-u RET does not help?
Anyway, stop Gnus, take a backup of ~/News/agent/ and rm -rf it and
start Gnus again.  Now C-u should work.  Then try to reproduce the
problem and send the details in a bug report.

* Re: Agent and IMAP server not in sync
@ 2003-11-28 22:05   ` Jørn Helge B. Dahl
From: Jørn Helge B. Dahl @ 2003-11-28 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

* [Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com>]

> Perhaps gnus-agent-regenerate is a better choice?

Probably.  But, I won't need that now, do I :-)

>> So, naturally I wanted to import all old e-mail into the agent again.
>> The strange thing is, I cannot access _any_ of the old e-mails anytime.
>> When I C-u <RET> on one of the groups and enters, expecting to find all
>> 750 (or so) e-mails, I only find one week worth of e-mail.  Pluggedness
>> or non-pluggedness, all the same.
>
> That's bad.  Pressing M-g on the group before C-u RET does not help?

No, I tried that, and I tried restarting gnus as well, but it didn't
help.

> Anyway, stop Gnus, take a backup of ~/News/agent/ and rm -rf it and
> start Gnus again.  Now C-u should work.  Then try to reproduce the
> problem and send the details in a bug report.

I will, when I can access the IMAP-server again on monday.

Thanks,
--

@ 2003-12-01 13:23     ` Jørn Helge B. Dahl
From: Jørn Helge B. Dahl @ 2003-12-01 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

* [Jørn Helge B. Dahl <jornd@users.sourceforge.net>]

> I will, when I can access the IMAP-server again on monday.

Well, it's monday, but due to, well, things, I am not at work today, so
I'll do that tomorrow.

Wow.  Six commas.
--

@ 2003-12-29 21:41       ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2003-12-29 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

> * [Jørn Helge B. Dahl <jornd@users.sourceforge.net>]
>> I will, when I can access the IMAP-server again on monday.

> Well, it's monday, but due to, well, things, I am not at work today, so
> I'll do that tomorrow.

Did you do it on that Tuesday, and what happened when you did?

* Agent and IMAP server not in sync
@ 2003-11-27  8:53 Jørn Helge B. Dahl
From: Jørn Helge B. Dahl @ 2003-11-27  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

(Resending this, since it seems the first try didn't get through.)

[...]

The strange thing is, I cannot access _any_ of the old e-mails at all.
When I C-u <RET> one of the groups and enters, expecting to find all 750
(or so) e-mails, I only find one week's worth of e-mail.  Pluggedness or