* gcc fails when multiple groups are specified
@ 2002-08-28 17:06 Bill White
From: Bill White @ 2002-08-28 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

I use gcc to file copies of outgoing mail in two groups - a global
group nnml:archive.YYYY.MM and the current group.  For this message
my gcc header is

Gcc: "nnml:archive.2002-08, nnml:gnus.2002.08"

The quotes are a problem.  Since they were introduced yesterday, my
outgoing mail is now filed in only one group whose name is the string
between the quotes.  I now have two new groups in my Groups buffer:

      0?   0!    1: nnml:archive.2002-08, nnml:emacs-development.2002.08
      0?   0!    1: nnml:archive.2002-08, nnml:mail.misc.2002.08

Is there a friendlier solution than the one Simon introduced?

2002-08-27  Simon Josefsson  <jas@extundo.com>

	* gnus-msg.el (posting-charset-alist): Use
	gnus-define-group-parameter instead of defcustom.
	(gnus-put-message): Handle SPC in GCC.
	(gnus-inews-insert-gcc): Ditto.
	(gnus-inews-insert-archive-gcc): Ditto.

Cheers -

bw
--
Bill White . billw@wolfram.com . http://members.wri.com/billw
"No ma'am, we're musicians."

* Re: gcc fails when multiple groups are specified
@ 2002-08-28 17:16 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-08-28 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Bill White <billw@wolfram.com> writes:

> I use gcc to file copies of outgoing mail in two groups - a global
> group nnml:archive.YYYY.MM and the current group.  For this message
> my gcc header is
>
> Gcc: "nnml:archive.2002-08, nnml:gnus.2002.08"

Oops.

Exactly how do you configure Gnus to populate the Gcc header?  Fixing
it is easier if I can reproduce it.

* Re: gcc fails when multiple groups are specified
@ 2002-08-28 17:25   ` Bill White
From: Bill White @ 2002-08-28 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed Aug 28 2002 at 12:16, Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> said:

> Bill White <billw@wolfram.com> writes:
>
>> I use gcc to file copies of outgoing mail in two groups - a global
>> group nnml:archive.YYYY.MM and the current group.  For this message
>> my gcc header is
>>
>> Gcc: "nnml:archive.2002-08, nnml:gnus.2002.08"
>
> Oops.
>
> Exactly how do you configure Gnus to populate the Gcc header?
> Fixing it is easier if I can reproduce it.

This is an old, old hack and it smells a bit funky:

(setq gnus-message-archive-group
      '((concat
	 "nnml:archive."
	 (format-time-string "%Y-%m" (current-time))
	 (if (message-mail-p)
	     (when (string-match "[A-Za-z]" gnus-newsgroup-name)
	       ", "))
	 (if (message-mail-p)
	     (when (string-match "[A-Za-z]" gnus-newsgroup-name)
	       gnus-newsgroup-name)))))

Perhaps there's a cleaner way that works with the new code?

Cheers -

bw
--

@ 2002-08-28 17:44     ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2002-08-28 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Bill White <billw@wolfram.com> writes:

> This is an old, old hack and it smells a bit funky:
>
> (setq gnus-message-archive-group
>       '((concat
> 	 "nnml:archive."
> 	 (format-time-string "%Y-%m" (current-time))
> 	 (if (message-mail-p)
> 	     (when (string-match "[A-Za-z]" gnus-newsgroup-name)
> 	       ", "))
> 	 (if (message-mail-p)
> 	     (when (string-match "[A-Za-z]" gnus-newsgroup-name)
> 	       gnus-newsgroup-name)))))

The string within gnus-message-archive-group should be one group, not
several (at least this is how I read the docstring for g-m-a-g, and it
hasn't changed).  If you want to return several groups, do:

(setq gnus-message-archive-group
      '((list
	 (concat
	  "nnml:archive."
	  (format-time-string "%Y-%m" (current-time)))
	 (if (message-mail-p)
	     (when (string-match "[A-Za-z]" gnus-newsgroup-name)
	       gnus-newsgroup-name)))))

I added a GNUS-NEWS section, feel free to suggest improvements:

** Group Carbon Copy (GCC) quoting

To support groups that contains SPC and other weird characters, groups
are quoted before they are placed in the Gcc: header.  While this
should not cause problems, errorenous local customization may cause
problems.  In particular, if you have local customizations (e.g.,
variables such as gnus-message-archive-group) that return the string
"nnml:foo, nnml:bar" (indicating Gcc into two groups) you must change
it to return the list ("nnml:foo" "nnml:bar"), otherwise the Gcc: line
will be quoted incorrectly.  Note that returning the string "nnml:foo,
nnml:bar" was incorrect earlier, it just didn't generate any problems.

* Re: gcc fails when multiple groups are specified
@ 2002-08-28 17:57       ` Bill White
From: Bill White @ 2002-08-28 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed Aug 28 2002 at 12:44, Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> said:

> The string within gnus-message-archive-group should be one group,
> not several (at least this is how I read the docstring for g-m-a-g,
> and it hasn't changed).  If you want to return several groups, do:

Excellent!  Thanks -

bw
--
Bill White                                               Office: 5N-X30
Documentation Programmer                      Phone: 217-398-0700 x 234

* Re: gcc fails when multiple groups are specified
@ 2002-08-29 17:33 ` Josh Huber
From: Josh Huber @ 2002-08-29 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill White <billw@wolfram.com> writes:

> The quotes are a problem.  Since they were introduced yesterday, my
> outgoing mail is now filed in only one group whose name is the
> string between the quotes.  I now have two new groups in my Groups
> buffer:

Do you think it would be possible to quote the newsgroup names as
well?  Right now posting to an IMAP group which contains spaces in it
doesn't work without quoting the group name.

--
Josh Huber