* Return of the "forgetting mail bug"
@ 2002-05-19 20:50 Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 2002-05-19 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Once upon a time, I reported that gnus would "forget" unread mail in
my "misc" group. That is, if I get new mail and there's 10 new
messages in misc, I can read them. But if, before reading them, I quit
gnus and restart it, the 10 messages are no longer "new". If I enter
misc with C-u spc, there they are.

I thought this problem went away, but it's clearly come back. So
perhaps I was mistaken about it going away.

In any event...help, please? :-)

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | Some people will never learn anything,
http://nwalsh.com/            | for this reason, because they
                              | understand everything too soon.--Pope

* Re: Return of the "forgetting mail bug"
@ 2002-05-20 22:01 ` Matt Armstrong
From: Matt Armstrong @ 2002-05-20 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> writes:

> Once upon a time, I reported that gnus would "forget" unread mail in
> my "misc" group. That is, if I get new mail and there's 10 new
> messages in misc, I can read them. But if, before reading them, I quit
> gnus and restart it, the 10 messages are no longer "new". If I enter
> misc with C-u spc, there they are.
>
> I thought this problem went away, but it's clearly come back. So
> perhaps I was mistaken about it going away.
>
> In any event...help, please? :-)

Not that I can help, but what backend is this group using (I forget
the details of your previous reports)?

I saw the opposite problem with nnmaildir in a particular group.  It
would consistently report 3 phantom new messages whenever I would get
new mail and no new mail showed up for that particular group.  I
eventually ended up deleting everything in .nnmaildir/nov for that
group and the problem no longer happens.  (disclaimer: the exact
details of this problem might be wrong -- all I remember for sure was
the group buffer was showing new mail when there wasn't any)

--
Don't send mail to Betsy.Hendrix@hole.lickey.com
The address is there for spammers to harvest.

* Re: Return of the "forgetting mail bug"
@ 2002-05-21 13:44   ` Norman Walsh
From: Norman Walsh @ 2002-05-21 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

/ Matt Armstrong <matt@lickey.com> was heard to say:
|> In any event...help, please? :-)
|
| Not that I can help, but what backend is this group using (I forget
| the details of your previous reports)?

It's an nnml group. The messages are ok, the nov database is
up-to-date, and the active file looks ok.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | A philosophical contempt of life is no