From: "Rene H. Larsen" <rhl@traceroute.dk>
Subject: Re: Strange display problem
Date: 13 Nov 1999 03:16:04 +0100	[thread overview]

Jan Vroonhof <vroonhof@math.ethz.ch> writes:

> N.B. I don't think this really a Gnus problem. What platform are you
> using?

It turns out that it isn't.  It's just that I hadn't seen this problem
outside of Gnus before.  I'm on a Debian GNU/Linux potato system.

> Those x's are character nr 160 (nobreakspace in latin-1). Does your
> XEmacs also have problem if you do
>
> (loop repeat 4 do (insert (char-to-string 160)))
>
> in a scratch buffer?

Yep, these characters show exactly the same display artifacts.

> If so, does the problem go away if you do?
>
> (aset (specifier-instance current-display-table) 160 "<NBSPC>")

Sort of.  Now the characters just show as "<NBSPC>".

> If so what font do you use? Does changing the font help.

The lucidatypewriter font has this problem, but the default courier
font doesn't.  I'd hate to have to switch back to courier.

Do you think

(aset (specifier-instance current-display-table) 160 " ")

is a suitable workaround for this problem, or are there any pitfalls I
haven't thought of?
--
Echelon bait:
David John Oates FBI Qaddafi Rule Psix class struggle SDI Waco, Texas