From: Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu>
Subject: Spook mime for Gnus
Date: 08 Aug 1999 00:21:16 -0400	[thread overview]

Use spook.el to generate your mime separators!

This was inspired by Noah Friedman's spookmime.el for VM
(http://www.gnac.com/~hogan/vm/files/spookmime.el) which says the original
idea came from Bryan O'Sullivan.

One caveat, I don't actually know what restrictions MIME imposes on
separators, we should strip out any improper characters, keep it within
whatever size limits are relevant etc. This was just a quick first pass.

As an aside, I really like Gnus's minimal separators. It was a good idea. I'm
not sure the hack value of this outweighs the niceness of having human
readable MIME encoded mail. That said, the benefit is likely to be lost
anyways when all the MIME headers are inserted and the content is
quoted-unreadabled.

Without further ado, the code:

(defun spook-make-boundary nil
  (save-excursion
    (set-buffer (generate-new-buffer " *spook tmp*"))
    (setq buffer-disable-undo t)
    (spook)
    (subst-char-in-region (point-min) (point-max) ?\n ?= t)
    (subst-char-in-region (point-min) (point-max) ?   ?- t)
    (prog1
	(buffer-substring (point-min) (min 70 (point-max)))
      (kill-buffer (current-buffer)))))

To set gnus to use this just do something like:

(defun mml-make-boundary nil (spook-make-boundary))

(except that won't dtrt if you load it before mml.

--
greg