* summary buffer show recent mails when limitting
@ 2022-05-04  7:09 Erik Colson
From: Erik Colson @ 2022-05-04  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,

When I search mails and the search returns more than 200 mails, gnus
will ask nicely how much mails I want him to show.  When I enter a
number lower than the quantity of mails returned, gnus does indeed show
me that number of mails.

The cullprit is that gnus selects the oldest mails, and I can't seem to
figure how to show the newest ones.

Is there a variable for this ?

thx
--
erik colson

* Re: summary buffer show recent mails when limitting
@ 2022-05-04  8:46 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2022-05-04  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Erik writes:

> The cullprit is that gnus selects the oldest mails, and I can't seem to
> figure how to show the newest ones.

I get the newest - maybe it's dependent on what search engine you are
using (I'm using notmuch).

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Boy, 6, killed by bear!                                   Adam Sjøgren
  Parents saved the trouble."                          asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: summary buffer show recent mails when limitting
@ 2022-05-04 10:09   ` Erik Colson
From: Erik Colson @ 2022-05-04 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Adam Sjøgren <asjo@koldfront.dk> writes:

> Erik writes:
>
>> The cullprit is that gnus selects the oldest mails, and I can't seem to
>> figure how to show the newest ones.
>
> I get the newest - maybe it's dependent on what search engine you are
> using (I'm using notmuch).

Hi!

I figured this out!  The problem occurs when I select multiple groups
for the search, then issue the search.  When limiting the quantity of
articles, gnus will then *not* take the newest of all the mails returned
from all the groups, but it will do this selection starting from the
first selected group and only select articles from the other groups *if
the quantity of articles is not reached*
So I only get the mails from the first group, and nothing from the other
groups if I limit to a few articles...

Hope this is somewhat understandable :)

best
--

@ 2022-05-04 10:37     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2022-05-04 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Wednesday,  4 May 2022 at 12:09, Erik Colson wrote:
> Hope this is somewhat understandable :)

Yes, it is and it has been discussed recently.  This is exactly what is
happening.  In practice, what I do is restrict the search to a range of
dates as well, e.g. today, yesterday, week, April, whatever.

--
Eric S Fraga with org 9.5.3 in Emacs 29.0.50 on Debian 11.3

* Re: summary buffer show recent mails when limitting
@ 2022-05-04 11:05       ` Erik Colson
From: Erik Colson @ 2022-05-04 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Yes, it is and it has been discussed recently.  This is exactly what is
> happening.  In practice, what I do is restrict the search to a range of
> dates as well, e.g. today, yesterday, week, April, whatever.

OK, that sounds like doable.  Is this behaviour linked to a backend or
is this purely gnus behaviour ?

best
--

@ 2022-05-04 12:12     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2022-05-04 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Erik writes:

> I figured this out!  The problem occurs when I select multiple groups
> for the search, then issue the search.

Ah! I only searched one group, so I didn't get that effect.

> When limiting the quantity of articles, gnus will then *not* take the
> newest of all the mails returned from all the groups, but it will do
> this selection starting from the first selected group and only select
> articles from the other groups *if the quantity of articles is not
> reached*

Uh, ah, yeah - that's not what I would expect to get, as a user, but it
was perhaps more straight forward to implement ;-)

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Stockholm vaknar långsamt                                 Adam Sjøgren
  På droger och på sorg"                               asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: summary buffer show recent mails when limitting
@ 2022-05-04 12:27         ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2022-05-04 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Wednesday,  4 May 2022 at 13:05, Erik Colson wrote:
> OK, that sounds like doable.  Is this behaviour linked to a backend or
> is this purely gnus behaviour ?

Others will know better but I believe it is purely gnus and irrespective
of the backend.  My understanding is that the individual group search
results are concatenated and not sorted after this concatenation.

--

@ 2022-05-04 17:09           ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2022-05-04 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> On Wednesday,  4 May 2022 at 13:05, Erik Colson wrote:
>> OK, that sounds like doable.  Is this behaviour linked to a backend or
>> is this purely gnus behaviour ?
>
> Others will know better but I believe it is purely gnus and irrespective
> of the backend.  My understanding is that the individual group search
> results are concatenated and not sorted after this concatenation.

Yup, this is correct. The search backends do sorting, and the Gnus
*Summary* buffers do sorting, but there would need to be some sort of
intermediate sorting process in the search code itself in order to make
limiting over multiple groups work the way you'd expect.

Maybe there's a simpler solution, but everything I can think of would
involve an awful lot of machinery just to make this case work the way
users would expect.