* githubs notifications (different authors) and the froms in the summary buffer are a bit confusing
@ 2021-12-02  7:40 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2021-12-02  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi

I am not sure how to deal with this but I tend to answer github issues
not by the web interface but by gnus. There is however a problem.

For example I receive a message
which is displayed as

[]{ }R  102093 [ +Jambunath] nnicandro/  [Re: [nnicandro/emacs-jupy]

Its author is however

From: Nathaniel Nicandro notifications@github.com

I understand that, because I receive also github notifications by

A user called Jambunath I see the field [+Jambunath] however I either prefer not to have it all or at least in the order

nnicandro [ +Jambunath]

The setting of
gnus-summary-line-format
is "[%uM]{%ug}%U%R%z%I%N %(%[ %-10,10uB%]%) %-10,10~(form (rfc2047-decode-string (gnus-extra-header 'To)))@  [%-25,25s%] %D %k %L   \n"

So it seems that %U is the culprit here. That however seems difficult to
change.

Any idea how to do that?

Regards

Uwe Brauer

* Re: githubs notifications (different authors) and the froms in the summary buffer are a bit confusing
@ 2021-12-02 16:05 ` Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz @ 2021-12-02 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Thu, Dec 02 2021, Uwe Brauer wrote:

[...]

> So it seems that %U is the culprit here. That however seems difficult to
> Any idea how to do that?

A way is to define your own format function.  For instance, i have this
function to display the from address with anything matching the regexp
jao-gnus--news-rx removed:

      (defun gnus-user-format-function-f (headers)
        (let* ((from (gnus-header-from headers))
               (from (gnus-summary-extract-address-component from)))
          (replace-regexp-in-string jao-gnus--news-rx "" from)))

the `-f' at the end or the name matters, it's the code to use in the
line format:  "... %uf ..."  stands for "user-defined function f"

hope this helps,
jao
    - Antony Jay and Jonathan Lynn, "Yes Minister"

* Re: githubs notifications (different authors) and the froms in the summary buffer are a bit confusing
@ 2021-12-03  9:58   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2021-12-03  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding