From: Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: gnorb: minor and mayor suggestions
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2016 08:57:28 +0000	[thread overview]

>>> "Eric" == Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> writes:

    > Uwe Brauer <oub@mat.ucm.es> writes:
    >> Hi
    >> which is fine for the reply mails, but I would like to have something
    >> similar for *composing messages*. So the idea would be to start from the
    >> bbdb and then add a similar entry to TODO-email.org.

    > I think `gnorb-gnus-outgoing-do-todo' is what you're after here. If you
    > compose a message from scratch, you can call that command from the
    > message buffer, and a new Org entry will be captured after sending the
    > message. I've got this:

    > (eval-after-load "message"
    >   '(progn
    >      (define-key message-mode-map (kbd "C-c t") 'gnorb-gnus-outgoing-do-todo)))

    > (setq gnorb-gnus-new-todo-capture-key "O")

Here I am confused. I used in a compose-message-buffer
gnorb-gnus-outgoing-do-todo
but then what? I did not notice that anything (template) has been saved
to an org file.

    > Then the "O" template will be used to capture the sent message.

And this template I have define?

    > Alternately, call `gnorb-gnus-outgoing-do-todo' with a prefix argument,
    > and it will trigger todo state change on an existing Org heading instead
    > of creating a new one.

    > (And if you change your mind afterwards, call the command with a double
    > prefix to reset everything.)

I tried this as well but it did not work.

    > It's all a bit confusing to explain, but once you've tried it, it should
    > make sense.

    >> * mayor: editing emails in an org buffer and later send them.
    >>
    >> For some emails it turns out to be better to edit them in an
    >> org mode buffer, for example if I would like to edit a table and
    >> orgtbl-mode in message would not be enough. Right now I start editing
    >> those message in an org-file and then use the following function

    > [...]

    >> Could gnorb provide a similar functionality?

    > Sounds like you want `gnorb-org-email-subtree'. That will prompt you for
    > an export backend, and then it composes an email with the exported text
    > either in the body of the mail, or else attached as a file. The outgoing
    > message is tracked as usual.

Where do I have to execute that function? In the org buffer? In the mail
buffer? I played a bit around and it seems the the org buffer is the
right place, but where do I have to write the mail address? In the
heading?
So I tried
** oub@mat.ucm.es
And used gnorb-org-email-subtree but now mail buffer popped up.
Could you give me a bit more details?

    >> Could gnorb provide a similar functionality?

    > I'm not 100% sure I know what you mean here. Are you starting the
    > process from the Gnus *Summary* buffer? You want to start a reply to
    > message, but then hop to the associated Org heading, have the text
    > pasted into the body of the heading, then when you're done writing, jump
    > back to the message reply buffer and insert the text of the message?

Precisely!
    > Anyway let me know exactly what workflow you have in mind, and I'd be
    > happy to try to accommodate in gnorb.

thanks

Uwe