* Documentation of gnus-check-new-newsgroups, select methods value
@ 2016-01-02 11:34 Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2016-01-02 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

The documentation of gnus-check-new-newsgroups does not mention that
_if_ you set the variable to a list of select methods, then the options
set on those select methods in gnus-secondary-select-methods will be
ignored.

Should it?

What lead me to discover this, is that I have had for a long time:

  (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
        '(
          (nnml ""
                (nnir-search-engine notmuch))

and recently I added:

  (setq gnus-check-new-newsgroups '((nnml "")))

Which had the side effect of making nnir-searches on nnml: return no
results. (Which, by the way, is also misleading - shouldn't nnir say
"I was not configured to search anything", rather than "I didn't find
any results"?)

If I change gnus-check-new-newsgroups to '((nnml "" (nnir-search-engine
notmuch))) searching works again.

Which is nice, but it feels a little, uh, brittle?

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "What do you do for a living, man?"                          Adam Sjøgren
 "Oh, I confound expectations."                          asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Documentation of gnus-check-new-newsgroups, select methods value
@ 2016-01-02 11:55 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2016-01-02 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> The documentation of gnus-check-new-newsgroups does not mention that
> _if_ you set the variable to a list of select methods, then the options
> set on those select methods in gnus-secondary-select-methods will be
> ignored.
>
> Should it?
>
> What lead me to discover this, is that I have had for a long time:
>
>   (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>         '(
>           (nnml ""
>                 (nnir-search-engine notmuch))
>
> and recently I added:
>
>   (setq gnus-check-new-newsgroups '((nnml "")))
>
> Which had the side effect of making nnir-searches on nnml: return no
> results. (Which, by the way, is also misleading - shouldn't nnir say
> "I was not configured to search anything", rather than "I didn't find
> any results"?)
>
> If I change gnus-check-new-newsgroups to '((nnml "" (nnir-search-engine
> notmuch))) searching works again.
>
> Which is nice, but it feels a little, uh, brittle?

That's almost guaranteed not to be how it's supposed to work -- that
shouldn't have anything to do with searching. I don't know the solution,
I'm afraid, but I will add this to my little list of "things that would
be fixed by EIEIO server definitions" :)

Incidentally, why is the server string name empty? Don't people's
servers usually always have a name? Perhaps if you were using '((nnml
"server name")) in `gnus-check-new-newsgroups', it might not break?

Not that that means this isn't a bug...

* Re: Documentation of gnus-check-new-newsgroups, select methods value
@ 2016-01-02 12:17   ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2016-01-02 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Eric writes:

> Incidentally, why is the server string name empty?

What should I call it? I use the same nnml-method for all my email. I
think it is pretty standard to name it ""‽

> Don't people's servers usually always have a name? Perhaps if you were
> using '((nnml "server name")) in `gnus-check-new-newsgroups', it might
> not break?

Maybe, but I'm not going to change the name of all my email groups :-) They
are ingrained in my fingers and workflow.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "So this is what being a morning person is like, I           Adam Sjøgren
  thought. It's like being 80 years old."                asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Documentation of gnus-check-new-newsgroups, select methods value
@ 2016-01-02 13:59     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2016-01-02 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Eric writes:
>
>> Incidentally, why is the server string name empty?
>
> What should I call it? I use the same nnml-method for all my email. I
> think it is pretty standard to name it ""‽
>
>> Don't people's servers usually always have a name? Perhaps if you were
>> using '((nnml "server name")) in `gnus-check-new-newsgroups', it might
>> not break?
>
> Maybe, but I'm not going to change the name of all my email groups :-) They
> are ingrained in my fingers and workflow.

Not criticizing! Just curious. I guess I have too many servers :(

* Re: Documentation of gnus-check-new-newsgroups, select methods value
@ 2016-01-02 14:13       ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2016-01-02 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Eric writes:

> asjo@koldfront.dk (Adam Sjøgren) writes:

>> Eric writes:

>>> Don't people's servers usually always have a name? Perhaps if you were
>>> using '((nnml "server name")) in `gnus-check-new-newsgroups', it might
>>> not break?

>> Maybe, but I'm not going to change the name of all my email groups :-) They
>> are ingrained in my fingers and workflow.

> Not criticizing! Just curious. I guess I have too many servers :(

Sorry for being defensive :-)

  /A

--
 "Little addict                                               Adam Sjøgren
  Too close to the bone"                                 asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Documentation of gnus-check-new-newsgroups, select methods value
@ 2016-01-04  2:21 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2016-01-04  2:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> The documentation of gnus-check-new-newsgroups does not mention that
> _if_ you set the variable to a list of select methods, then the options
> set on those select methods in gnus-secondary-select-methods will be
> ignored.

Hey, after this happens, would you eval `gnus-secondary-select-methods'
again, and see if it's been altered?

My guess is that `gnus-ask-server-for-new-groups' actually permanently
adds the value of `gnus-check-new-newsgroups' to
`gnus-secondary-select-methods' -- ie, it's shadowing the previous
server definition with a new one, which would be bad. Would you take a
look at your secondary select methods and see if there are multiple
(nnml) entries in it?