* Search gmane from gnus?
@ 2014-09-23  7:51 Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2014-09-23  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi

Is there a way of searching a newgroup (e.g. this one) on gmane from
within gnus / emacs? I mean I can always display all messages (/o) and
then search for e.g. author (/a) - but this takes *ages* in big
newsgroups.

If there is no way, is there a way of copying all new messages of a
newsgroup (and preferably the old ones as well) into a different folder
in gnus?

I use notmuch to index my local maildir and the search is brilliant.

Cheers,

Rainer

--
Rainer M. Krug
email: Rainer<at>krugs<dot>de

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 494 bytes --]

* Re: Search gmane from gnus?
@ 2014-09-23  8:01 ` Christoph Groth
From: Christoph Groth @ 2014-09-23  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Rainer M Krug wrote:

> Is there a way of searching a newgroup (e.g. this one) on gmane
> from within gnus / emacs? I mean I can always display all
> messages (/o) and then search for e.g. author (/a) - but this
> takes *ages* in big newsgroups.

Simply pressing "G G" in the group buffer with the point on the
gmane group should work out of the box and without configuration.
See
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/Setting-up-nnir.html.

* Re: Search gmane from gnus?
@ 2014-09-23  8:14   ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2014-09-23  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Groth; +Cc: ding

Christoph Groth <christoph@grothesque.org> writes:

> Rainer M Krug wrote:
>
>> Is there a way of searching a newgroup (e.g. this one) on gmane from
>> within gnus / emacs? I mean I can always display all messages (/o)
>> and then search for e.g. author (/a) - but this takes *ages* in big
>> newsgroups.
>
> Simply pressing "G G" in the group buffer with the point on the gmane
> group should work out of the box and without configuration. See
> https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/Setting-up-nnir.html.

Shame on me - I overwrote the "G G" to do a notmuch search - removed it,
working now.

Thanks,

Rainer

--

@ 2014-09-24  8:34     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2014-09-24  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:

> Shame on me - I overwrote the "G G" to do a notmuch search - removed it,
> working now.

You can configure nnir to use notmuch on the relevant groups - just put
(nnir-search-engine notmuch) in the appropriate places.

I.e. I have:

  (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
        '(
          (nnml ""
                (nnir-search-engine notmuch))
          (nntp "news.gmane.org"
   [...]

and:

  (setq gnus-message-archive-method '(nnml "archive"
                                           (nnml-directory "~/Mail/archive")
                                           (nnml-active-file "~/Mail/archive/active")
                                           (nnml-get-new-mail nil)
                                           (nnir-search-engine notmuch)
                                           (nnml-inhibit-expiry t)))

With this G G automatically uses notmuch in by nnml-groups.

I guess one needs to keep the notmuch index up to date "by hand"...

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "if we are questioned, we tell the observers, april          Adam Sjøgren
  fools, and leave the area before you are also fooled   asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Search gmane from gnus?
@ 2014-09-24  8:42       ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2014-09-24  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> You can configure nnir to use notmuch on the relevant groups

I meant "the relevant servers"...

  :-),

   Adam

--
 "Du har brug for en                                          Adam Sjøgren
  der er meget stærkere end mig                          asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Search gmane from gnus?
@ 2014-09-24  8:53       ` Rainer M Krug
From: Rainer M Krug @ 2014-09-24  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Sjøgren; +Cc: ding

> Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:
>
>> Shame on me - I overwrote the "G G" to do a notmuch search - removed it,
>> working now.
>
> You can configure nnir to use notmuch on the relevant groups - just put
> (nnir-search-engine notmuch) in the appropriate places.
>
> I.e. I have:
>
>   (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>         '(
>           (nnml ""
>                 (nnir-search-engine notmuch))
>           (nntp "news.gmane.org"
>    [...]
>
> and:
>
>   (setq gnus-message-archive-method '(nnml "archive"
>                                            (nnml-directory "~/Mail/archive")
>                                            (nnml-active-file "~/Mail/archive/active")
>                                            (nnml-get-new-mail nil)
>                                            (nnir-search-engine notmuch)
>                                            (nnml-inhibit-expiry t)))

Good idea - But as I can search on gmane directly, I think I will stop
archiving all newsgroups locally.

Thanks a lot,

Rainer

--

@ 2014-09-24 13:46         ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2014-09-24 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Rainer M Krug <Rainer@krugs.de> writes:

> Good idea - But as I can search on gmane directly, I think I will stop
> archiving all newsgroups locally.

That makes sense - I only used notmuch for searching my email.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "I pragmatically turn my whims into principles!"             Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk