Peter Davis writes: > Thanks for all the help and suggestions, everyone. Setting > gnus-build-sparse-threads to t does seem to do what I was looking for, > but now opening a group takes too long. So I think I'll drop back to > *not* showing previously read messages in the thread, and using 'A T' > when I want to see the history. Change the value to "some". It is much quicker: ,---- | gnus-build-sparse-threads is a variable defined in `gnus-sum.el'. | Its value is some | Original value was nil | | Documentation: | *If non-nil, fill in the gaps in threads. | If `some', only fill in the gaps that are needed to tie loose threads | together. If `more', fill in all leaf nodes that Gnus can find. If | non-nil and non-`some', fill in all gaps that Gnus manages to guess `---- Charles -- "Are [Linux users] lemmings collectively jumping off of the cliff of reliable, well-engineered commercial software?" (By Matt Welsh)