* Showing threads with IMAP
@ 2014-07-22 20:01 Peter Davis
From: Peter Davis @ 2014-07-22 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi. I've just started really using Gnus for IMAP mail, and just joined
this group, so please forgive me if this is a tired old question that
just won't go away.

I'm reading email via IMAP from Fastmail.fm. I have (setq
gnus-fetch-old-headers t) set in my .gnus.el, but I never actually see
any previously read messages ... only the unread ones. Is there any way
to get this behavior with an IMAP server, so that I can see all the

Thanks! I'm sure I'll have more ignorant n00b questions later.

-pd

* Re: Showing threads with IMAP
@ 2014-07-22 20:53 ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2014-07-22 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> I'm reading email via IMAP from Fastmail.fm. I have (setq
> gnus-fetch-old-headers t) set in my .gnus.el, but I never actually see
> any previously read messages ... only the unread ones. Is there any
> way to get this behavior with an IMAP server, so that I can see all
> the previous messages in a thread that has new, unread messages?

'A T' (gnus-summary-refer-thread) should do the trick.

'C-h f gnus-summary-refer-thread RET' for more info.

However, on an IMAP server it only works when the server uses the
agent (I just tried).

Also it didn't work on a message that didn't have a proper References
header (sent by Lookout using an MSExchange server).  Nothing
happened, presumably because dovecot didn't recognize the message as
belonging to a thread...?

* Re: Showing threads with IMAP
@ 2014-07-22 20:56   ` Peter Davis
From: Peter Davis @ 2014-07-22 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Steinar Bang <sb@dod.no> writes:

>> I'm reading email via IMAP from Fastmail.fm. I have (setq
>> gnus-fetch-old-headers t) set in my .gnus.el, but I never actually see
>> any previously read messages ... only the unread ones. Is there any
>> way to get this behavior with an IMAP server, so that I can see all
>> the previous messages in a thread that has new, unread messages?
>
> 'A T' (gnus-summary-refer-thread) should do the trick.
>
> 'C-h f gnus-summary-refer-thread RET' for more info.
>
> However, on an IMAP server it only works when the server uses the
> agent (I just tried).
>
> Also it didn't work on a message that didn't have a proper References
> header (sent by Lookout using an MSExchange server).  Nothing
> happened, presumably because dovecot didn't recognize the message as
> belonging to a thread...?

Thank you, Steiner. 'A T' works on this server, but I was hoping to have
threads with unread messages automatically show up in the summary. I
suppose I could live with having to recall them explicitly with 'A T'.

Thank you.

@ 2014-07-23  1:01     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-07-23  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Peter Davis <pfd@pfdstudio.com> writes:

>>> I'm reading email via IMAP from Fastmail.fm. I have (setq
>>> gnus-fetch-old-headers t) set in my .gnus.el, but I never actually see
>>> any previously read messages ... only the unread ones. Is there any
>>> way to get this behavior with an IMAP server, so that I can see all
>>> the previous messages in a thread that has new, unread messages?
>>
>> 'A T' (gnus-summary-refer-thread) should do the trick.
>>
>> 'C-h f gnus-summary-refer-thread RET' for more info.
>>
>> However, on an IMAP server it only works when the server uses the
>> agent (I just tried).
>>
>> Also it didn't work on a message that didn't have a proper References
>> header (sent by Lookout using an MSExchange server).  Nothing
>> happened, presumably because dovecot didn't recognize the message as
>> belonging to a thread...?
>
> Thank you, Steiner. 'A T' works on this server, but I was hoping to have
> threads with unread messages automatically show up in the summary. I
> suppose I could live with having to recall them explicitly with 'A T'.
>
> Thank you.
> -pd

This is a bit of a guess, but does setting gnus-build-sparse-threads to
'more do what you what?

* Re: Showing threads with IMAP
@ 2014-07-23 12:37       ` Peter Davis
From: Peter Davis @ 2014-07-23 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: ding

> This is a bit of a guess, but does setting gnus-build-sparse-threads to
> 'more do what you what?

Thanks, Eric, but it doesn't seem to have made much of a difference.

Cheers,

@ 2014-07-23 14:37         ` Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo
From: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo @ 2014-07-23 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Peter Davis <pfd@pfdstudio.com> writes:

>> This is a bit of a guess, but does setting gnus-build-sparse-threads to
>> 'more do what you what?
>
> Thanks, Eric, but it doesn't seem to have made much of a difference.

How about setting it to t? That tries to fill all the gaps.

* Re: Showing threads with IMAP
@ 2014-07-23 14:45           ` Peter Davis
From: Peter Davis @ 2014-07-23 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo; +Cc: ding

jorge.a.alfaro@gmail.com (Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo) writes:

> Peter Davis <pfd@pfdstudio.com> writes:
>
>> Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> writes:
>>

>>> This is a bit of a guess, but does setting gnus-build-sparse-threads to
>>> 'more do what you what?
>>
>> Thanks, Eric, but it doesn't seem to have made much of a difference.
>
> How about setting it to t? That tries to fill all the gaps.

Hmmm. Maybe. I do seem to be seeing a lot of earlier posts, marked 'Q'
in the summary buffer.

Thank you, Jorge.

@ 2014-07-24  0:50           ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2014-07-24  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

jorge.a.alfaro@gmail.com (Jorge A. Alfaro-Murillo) writes:

> Peter Davis <pfd@pfdstudio.com> writes:
>>
>> Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> writes:
>>

>>> This is a bit of a guess, but does setting gnus-build-sparse-threads to
>>> 'more do what you what?
>>
>> Thanks, Eric, but it doesn't seem to have made much of a difference.
>
> How about setting it to t? That tries to fill all the gaps.

Oops, I misread the docstring...

* Re: Showing threads with IMAP
@ 2014-07-24 14:02             ` Peter Davis
From: Peter Davis @ 2014-07-24 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, everyone. Setting
gnus-build-sparse-threads to t does seem to do what I was looking for,
but now opening a group takes too long. So I think I'll drop back to
*not* showing previously read messages in the thread, and using 'A T'
when I want to see the history.

Thanks!

@ 2014-07-24 14:19               ` Charles Philip Chan
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2014-07-24 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)