* bug in mac mail, I have to send pdf files as application/octet-stream
@ 2012-09-19 10:29 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2012-09-19 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello

This is clearly a bug in the standard Mail application of
the Mac. But I have send several people pdf files with
type="application/pdf"

And these people did not see the attachments (they see it in
thunderbird).

Be it as it be, I would like to send my pdf files as
application/octet-stream which can be read by MacMail.

This is not a perfect solution, but it works.

Is there any variable in gnus I have to set that in case of
a pdf file application/octet-stream is chosen instead of application/pdf

Thanks

Uwe Brauer

* Re: bug in mac mail, I have to send pdf files as application/octet-stream
@ 2012-09-19 10:54 ` Katsumi Yamaoka
From: Katsumi Yamaoka @ 2012-09-19 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Uwe Brauer wrote:
[...]
> Is there any variable in gnus I have to set that in case of
> a pdf file application/octet-stream is chosen instead of application/pdf

Maybe the easiest way is to have this entry in the ~/.mime.types
file:

application/octet-stream pdf

Requires restarting Emacs and Gnus or performing
M-x mailcap-parse-mimetypes RET
whenever you modify the entries.

* Re: bug in mac mail, I have to send pdf files as application/octet-stream
@ 2012-09-19 11:05   ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2012-09-19 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

>> On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 19:54:31 +0900, Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> wrote:

   > Uwe Brauer wrote:
   > [...]
   >> Is there any variable in gnus I have to set that in case of
   >> a pdf file application/octet-stream is chosen instead of application/pdf

   > Maybe the easiest way is to have this entry in the ~/.mime.types
   > file:

   > application/octet-stream pdf

   > Requires restarting Emacs and Gnus or performing
   > M-x mailcap-parse-mimetypes RET
   > whenever you modify the entries.

Thank you very much, I did not even now about the file
.mime.types.

It works nicely thank you.

Uwe