From: XeCycle <xecycle@gmail.com>
To: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Bug: auth-sources not set before retrieving authinfo
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 12:03:14 +0800	[thread overview]

> XeCycle <XeCycle@Gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hello, I'm bothered by the behaviour that Gnus always asks me to
>> decrypt my .authinfo.gpg, though none of the servers need
>> authentication.
>
> Yes, nntp.el needs to look into the .authinfo.gpg file to see whether
> the server you're connecting to has a "force" parameter in the
> .authinfo.gpg file.

From (gnus) NNTP:

`nntp-authinfo-function'
     This function will be used to send `AUTHINFO' to the NNTP server.
     The default function is `nntp-send-authinfo', which looks through
     your `~/.authinfo' (or whatever you've set the
     `nntp-authinfo-file' variable to) for applicable entries.

I tried setting this function to no-op, but the default one is
still used.  And I tried setting nntp-authinfo-file, it still
looks for ~/.authinfo.  These behaviours are inconsistent with
the manual, so I believe these are bugs.

> I would suggest setting up a GPG agent or just leaving the .authinfo
> file unencrypted.

I already use that.  But on first system start, it still asks for
password; and my timeout is quite short (~10 min), so if I killed
Emacs and start it again sometime, Gnus will be asking that
again.

The point is, *none* of the servers need authentication; I do
understand the need to look for `force', but please enable me to
inhibit this.

Thank you.

--
Carl Lei (XeCycle)
Department of Physics, Shanghai Jiao Tong University