* What condition triggers to ham-process-destination ?
@ 2012-03-08  9:35 Herbert Valerio Riedel
From: Herbert Valerio Riedel @ 2012-03-08  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello,

I'm using Ma Gnus 0.3 on a recent Emacs 24 snapshot, and I've tried to
set up the spam package configuration example as described in the manual
section "Using `spam.el' on an IMAP server with a statistical filter on
the server", which ammounts to the following gnus.el entries:

(spam-initialize)

(setq gnus-parameters '(
       ("^nnimap\\+gnu:INBOX$"
        (spam-contents gnus-group-spam-classification-ham)
        (spam-process-destination . "nnimap+gnu:Junk")
        )

       ("^nnimap\\+gnu:Junk$"
        (spam-contents gnus-group-spam-classification-spam)
        (ham-process-destination . "nnimap+gnu:INBOX")
        )
))

When marking spam messages in INBOX, they get moved to the Junk folder
as expected on group-exit. So far so good.

But when unmarking false positives in Junk, I couldn't trigger the
`ham-process-destination` action, i.e. the message is not marked with
'$' anymore (, but stays in the Junk folder. On spam-group-exit the
$-marked messages are marked expirable (as expected), but the non-$
marked messages are left untouched.

What do I have to do, to have the non-$-marked messages moved to
ham-process-destination? Which elisp function should I try to debug to
find out what's happening?

cheers,
  hvr
--
Sent from my Emacs

* Re: What condition triggers to ham-process-destination ?
@ 2012-03-10 13:13 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2012-03-10 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Herbert Valerio Riedel; +Cc: ding

On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 10:35:35 +0100 Herbert Valerio Riedel <hvr@gnu.org> wrote:

HVR> But when unmarking false positives in Junk, I couldn't trigger the
HVR> `ham-process-destination` action, i.e. the message is not marked with
HVR> '$' anymore (, but stays in the Junk folder. On spam-group-exit the
HVR> $-marked messages are marked expirable (as expected), but the non-$
HVR> marked messages are left untouched.

HVR> What do I have to do, to have the non-$-marked messages moved to
HVR> ham-process-destination? Which elisp function should I try to debug to
HVR> find out what's happening?

The messages in the Junk folder have to be marked as ham.  This is
controlled by the ham-marks group parameter, and you can check with
(gnus-parameter-ham-marks "groupname").  You can set them as group/topic
parameters; e.g. use `G p' on your top-level topic and set:

 (ham-marks (gnus-ticked-mark))

(if this is the only parameter, meaning you only see a nil, you need to
wrap it in extra parentheses)

Now, every time you tick a spam article, it will be moved out of the
spam group for ham training when you exit.

Ted

* Re: What condition triggers to ham-process-destination ?
@ 2012-03-11 13:38   ` Herbert Valerio Riedel
From: Herbert Valerio Riedel @ 2012-03-11 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> The messages in the Junk folder have to be marked as ham.  This is
> controlled by the ham-marks group parameter, and you can check with
> (gnus-parameter-ham-marks "groupname").  You can set them as group/topic
> parameters; e.g. use `G p' on your top-level topic and set:
>
>  (ham-marks (gnus-ticked-mark))
>
> (if this is the only parameter, meaning you only see a nil, you need to
> wrap it in extra parentheses)

> Now, every time you tick a spam article, it will be moved out of the
> spam group for ham training when you exit.

Thanks, now everything works!

I was a bit mislead by the info section "8.20.1 Spam Package
Introduction" telling me to just "unmark" (as I did by using 'M-u'):

| Similarly, you can unmark an article if it has been erroneously marked
| as spam. See Setting Marks.

It might help avoid confusion, if that sentence would be more explicit
to say that not only should the spam-mark be removed, but also a mark
has to be set which is contained in the `ham-marks` set.

Btw, what is the recommended way to set up an "unsure" emailfolder,
i.e. a folder which gets emails which bogofilter (in tristate mode) was
/unsure/ about whether it's spam or ham?

cheers,
  hvr