* Gack ... boring old nnimap and gmail problem again
@ 2012-01-09 19:01 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2012-01-09 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I'm really stuck on this ... I've had nnimap access of gmail account
working for a good while.

My gmail account had some incident like apparently gmail itself was
hacked in some way.

At any rate I was told I had to make a new password.  I did so, and
can login from browser with no problems.

I put the new password in the corresponding field of ~/authinfo but
cannot access gmail imap groups now, from gnus.

BTW: using latest gnus as of today. (latest emacs-24 as of yesterday)

First, again, know that I CAN login to gmail with no problems from a
browser.  And do so by using the exact same uid and passwd shown below
{passwd elided}.  And know further that this all worked until the
event mentioned above and a password change with .authinfo updated
accordingly.

I didn't change my nnimap settings for gmail but I did change authinfo
to update the passwd.

From .gnus:

,----
|  (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
|      '((nnml "")))
|
|  (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnimap "hputnam3"
|                                   (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")))
`----

-------        ---------       ---=---       ---------      --------

From ~/.authinfo (passwd elided):

,----
| machine imap.gmail.com login hputnam3@gmail.com password [...] force yes
`----

  [NOTE: This one worked before the password change mentioned above:
,----
|  machine imap.gmail.com login hputnam3@gmail.com password [...] port imap
`----

now neither of the syntax above work]

-------        ---------       ---=---       ---------      --------

From: messages buffer:

,----
| Opening connection to imap.gmail.com via tls...
| Opening TLS connection to `imap.gmail.com'...
| Opening TLS connection with `gnutls-cli --insecure -p 993 imap.gmail.com'...done
| Opening TLS connection to `imap.gmail.com'...done
| Opening nnimap server on hputnam3...failed: NO (AUTHENTICATIONFAILED) Invalid credentials (Failure)
`----

I don't remember seeing this line;

,----
| Opening TLS connection with `gnutls-cli --insecure -p 993  imap.gmail.com'...done
`----

when the connection worked but maybe just never noticed it.

* Re: Gack ... boring old nnimap and gmail problem again
@ 2012-01-10  9:35 ` Stefan Nobis
From: Stefan Nobis @ 2012-01-10  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harry Putnam; +Cc: ding

> ,----
> |  (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
> |      '((nnml "")))
> |
> |  (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnimap "hputnam3"
> |                                   (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")))
> `----

I know nothing about gmail but I observed that some defaults
changed. If you don't want to use SSL you now have to explicitly set
(nnimap-stream network), as the new default first tries to use SSL
(which is a really sane default).

--
Until the next mail...,
Stefan.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 454 bytes --]

* Re: Gack ... boring old nnimap and gmail problem again
@ 2012-01-10 10:28 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2012-01-10 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harry Putnam; +Cc: ding

Hi Harry,

> | Opening TLS connection with `gnutls-cli --insecure -p 993
> | imap.gmail.com'...done

One difference between me and you, although our gmail/gnus settings are
identical, is that I use an Emacs with built-in GnuTLS support.  So I
get these messages.

20120110T081820.817> Opening nnimap server on Gmail...
20120110T081820.817> Opening connection to imap.gmail.com via tls...
Decrypting /home/horn/.authinfo.gpg...done
20120110T081821.744> Opening nnimap server on Gmail...done

You said, that you compile emacs yourself, do you?  If so, don't you
have gnutls installed or do you pass the --without-gnutls option to
configure?

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Gack ... boring old nnimap and gmail problem again
@ 2012-01-11  3:18   ` Harry Putnam
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Harry Putnam @ 2012-01-11  3:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: ding

> Hi Harry,
>
>> | Opening TLS connection with `gnutls-cli --insecure -p 993
>> | imap.gmail.com'...done
>
> One difference between me and you, although our gmail/gnus settings are
> identical, is that I use an Emacs with built-in GnuTLS support.  So I
> get these messages.
>
> 20120110T081820.817> Opening nnimap server on Gmail...
> 20120110T081820.817> Opening connection to imap.gmail.com via tls...
> Decrypting /home/horn/.authinfo.gpg...done
> 20120110T081821.744> Opening nnimap server on Gmail...done
>
> You said, that you compile emacs yourself, do you?  If so, don't you
> have gnutls installed or do you pass the --without-gnutls option to
> configure?

I do compile myself. This was my ./configure command:

./configure  --with-xft  --with-x-toolkit=lucid
    --prefix=/usr/local/src/vcs/bzr/test

It may be confused somewhat by the fact that I also have emacs-23
installed thru debians aptitude.  However the emacs that run when I
say ` emacs ' on command line is the emacs-24 that I compiled.

I do have some things with gnutls in the name installed.  If you know
Debian at all then this might be meaningful to you:

aptitude search gnutls |grep ^i

i   gnutls-bin                      - GNU TLS library - commandline utilities
i A libcurl3-gnutls                 - easy-to-use client-side URL transfer libra
i   libgnutls-openssl27             - GNU TLS library - OpenSSL wrapper
i   libgnutls26                     - GNU TLS library - runtime library
i A libneon27-gnutls                - HTTP and WebDAV client library (GnuTLS ena

-------        ---------       ---=---       ---------      --------

There should be no difference now than when it all worked for me with
gmail, a while back. With the exception of new passwd and possibly
newer versions somewhere.  That is, unless I did something unknowingly
that has effected this stuff.

I did mention that I had received notice from gmail that I needed to
set a new passwd because of unusual activity in my account.  I don't
really know what that was, but it would have been on there end, I
guess.

Of course that new passwd was duly updated in .authinfo.

* Re: Gack ... boring old nnimap and gmail problem again
@ 2012-01-11  3:36     ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2012-01-11  3:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Of course that new passwd was duly updated in .authinfo.

Yikes... NOT.

I've really wasted your time on this.  And I am really sorry.  I found
an ancient (undetected until now) line in .authinfo well up above the
newest settings for gmail that still contained the old passwd.

My only excuse is that the gmail line had been inserted into a very
old section where it did not belong and I did not look as carefully as
that error message should have made me look.

* Re: Gack ... boring old nnimap and gmail problem again
@ 2012-01-11  7:58     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2012-01-11  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harry Putnam; +Cc: ding

Hi Harry,

> I do compile myself. This was my ./configure command:
>
> ./configure  --with-xft  --with-x-toolkit=lucid
>     --prefix=/usr/local/src/vcs/bzr/test

It might be that the configure script was generated before GnuTLS
support was integrated in emacs.  Please run

  make clean distclean
  ./autogen

and then again your usual configure & make procedure.  After having run
./configure, you can check if gnutls support has been picked up (and if
not, why) by checking config.log for a snippet like this:

configure:11723: checking for gnutls >= 2.6.6
configure:11727: result: yes
configure:11731: checking LIBGNUTLS_CFLAGS
configure:11734: result:
configure:11737: checking LIBGNUTLS_LIBS
configure:11740: result: -lgnutls
configure:11777: checking for gnutls_certificate_set_verify_function
configure:11777: gcc -std=gnu99 -o conftest  -g -O2 -pthread -DQT_SHARED -I/usr/include/librsvg-2.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/libpng15 -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/qt4 -I/usr/include/qt4/QtGui -I/usr/include/libdrm -I/usr/include/qt4/QtCore   -I/usr/include/ImageMagick   -pthread -DQT_SHARED -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0 -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib64/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libpng15 -I/usr/include/qt4 -I/usr/include/qt4/QtGui -I/usr/include/libdrm -I/usr/include/qt4/QtCore          -Wl,-znocombreloc  conftest.c -lgnutls   -pthread -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -latk-1.0 -lgio-2.0 -lpangoft2-1.0 -lpangocairo-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lcairo -lpango-1.0 -lfreetype -lfontconfig -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0 -lgthread-2.0 -lrt -lglib-2.0   -lMagickWand -lMagickCore   -pthread -lrsvg-2 -lm -lgio-2.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lcairo -lgmodule-2.0 -lgobject-2.0 -lgthread-2.0 -lrt -lglib-2.0   -lX11 -lpthread   -ldbus-1 -lpthread -lrt   >&5
configure:11777: $? = 0
configure:11777: result: yes

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Gack ... boring old nnimap and gmail problem again
@ 2012-01-11  9:13     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2012-01-11  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 22:18:07 -0500, Harry wrote:

> I do have some things with gnutls in the name installed.  If you know
> Debian at all then this might be meaningful to you:

> aptitude search gnutls |grep ^i

> i   gnutls-bin                      - GNU TLS library - commandline utilities
> i A libcurl3-gnutls                 - easy-to-use client-side URL transfer libra
> i   libgnutls-openssl27             - GNU TLS library - OpenSSL wrapper
> i   libgnutls26                     - GNU TLS library - runtime library
> i A libneon27-gnutls                - HTTP and WebDAV client library (GnuTLS ena

Maybe you want libgnutls-dev (GNU TLS library - development files) as well?

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Time is getting short; every midnight I feel 48             Adam Sjøgren
  hours older. And twice as useless."                    asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Gack ... boring old nnimap and gmail problem again
@ 2012-01-11 13:08       ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2012-01-11 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: ding

Harry wrote:
>> I do compile myself. This was my ./configure command:
>>
>> ./configure  --with-xft  --with-x-toolkit=lucid
>>     --prefix=/usr/local/src/vcs/bzr/test

> It might be that the configure script was generated before GnuTLS
> support was integrated in emacs.  Please run
>
>   make clean distclean
>   ./autogen
>
> and then again your usual configure & make procedure.  After having run
> ./configure, you can check if gnutls support has been picked up (and if
> not, why) by checking config.log for a snippet like this:

with those cleaning command and ./autogen.sh having been ran:

It is not being found or is not installed apparently. Or maybe not the
sought for version...

from config.log at lines 351[78]

  configure:11720: checking for gnutls >= 2.6.6
  configure:11740: result: no

But yet as I reported on ding I've now found at least the problem that
was causing my troubles.  I found an ancient line in authinfo, in a
place it should not have been that still had an older passwd.  That
line came before the line with the correct passwd.

With that removed it now works and nnimap is able to connect to the
server.

I really am sorry for being so sloppy and consequently wasting you and
Ted Z's time.

So apparently the gnutls thing you are pointing out, is not preventing
that working.

* Re: Gack ... boring old nnimap and gmail problem again
@ 2012-01-11 13:41         ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2012-01-11 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 08:08:58 -0500 Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:

HP> from config.log at lines 351[78]

HP>   configure:11720: checking for gnutls >= 2.6.6
HP>   configure:11740: result: no

You really should try GnuTLS support :)  Just install libgnutls-dev as
was suggested.

HP> I really am sorry for being so sloppy and consequently wasting you and
HP> Ted Z's time.

Your question, coupled with Richard Riley's question, made me realize we
needed the `auth-source-user-and-password' function.  Something good
came out of it!  And of course there's no shame in screwing up, I do it
all the time :)

Ted