* Save everything frequently
@ 2009-03-31 18:45 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2009-03-31 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

I'm experimenting with ann Opensolaris install that is very unstable
at the moment.

I'd like to make gnus save its state every few minutes or just on
demand. I know from experience that the `s' command in *groups*

doesn't do the same as `q' (closing gnus).

So how can I get the effect of `q' without really closing gnus?

* Re: Save everything frequently
@ 2009-04-01  6:46 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-04-01  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi Harry,

> I'm experimenting with ann Opensolaris install that is very unstable
> at the moment.
>
> I'd like to make gnus save its state every few minutes or just on
> demand. I know from experience that the `s' command in *groups*
> doesn't do the same as `q' (closing gnus).
>
> So how can I get the effect of `q' without really closing gnus?

Looking at the code it seems that the only difference between `s' and
`q' is that `q' additionally runs `gnus-exit-gnus-hook', then offers to
save any open summary buffers and runs `gnus-after-exiting-gnus-hook'
finally.

By default those hooks don't seem to write anything to files, but
`gnus-offer-save-summaries' does scoring, saving score files and
probably it saves other things (overviews), too.

So I'd say that unless there are open summary buffers `q' and `s' are
equivalent in terms of which files are saved.

Bye,
Tassilo