* gnus and smtp auth
@ 2005-04-26 21:58 Samir Saidani
From: Samir Saidani @ 2005-04-26 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all !

I'm trying to get gnus sending mail through smtp auth, but after
several hours, I'm definitely unsuccessful...

So here is the situation : I've got a laptop with a sarge debian
installed, and using gnus 5.10.7 and emacs 21.4.1, with the latest cvs
smtpmail and starttls files (byte-compiled).

I managed to send mail through smtpmail and without authentification
with no problems, and I can send mails through smtpmail with
authentification using gmail (I tried the .gnus here :
http://web.phys.ntnu.no/~terjeros/gnus-gmail/)

I also managed to send mail to smtp.xxx.com in few minutes (argh) using
mozilla mail, with the following settings :
outgoing smtp : smtp.xxx.fr
port 465
use secure connection : ssl (the other choices don't work).

When I replace the .gnus configuration (from terjeros) with the right
settings, it hangs and there is nothing in smtp debug.

But I find a difference between smtp.gmail and smtp.xxx.com :

when I do a telnet :

gmail
Trying 64.233.185.109...
Connected to smtp.gmail.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mx.gmail.com ESMTP d16sm1394590wra

smtp.xxx.com
Trying 2001:660:7101::6...
Trying xxx.xxx.xxx.xx...
Connected to smtp.xxx.com.
Escape character is '^]'.

and with
gnutls-cli  smtp.xxx.com -p 465

Resolving 'smtp.xxx.com'...
Connecting to 'x.x.x.x:465'...
- Certificate type: X.509
 - Got a certificate list of 1 certificates.

 - Certificate[0] info:
 # The hostname in the certificate does NOT match 'smtp.xxx.com'.
 # valid since: Sat Feb  5 11:20:00 CET 2005
 # expires at: Tue Feb  5 11:20:00 CET 2008
 # serial number: 00 9f 94 6f 16 5d 19 f2 4b
 # fingerprint: 5d 34 15 88 00 f7 6d 08 67 da 82 ba 5c 94 56 55
blabla

- Peer's certificate issuer is unknown
- Peer's certificate is NOT trusted
- Version: TLS 1.0
- Key Exchange: RSA
- Cipher: AES 256 CBC
- MAC: SHA
- Compression: NULL
- Handshake was completed

- Simple Client Mode:

220 xxx ESMTP

So I tried different possibilities to get a .gnus.el working but now,
I'm stuck !

Help ?

Thanks !

Samir