* Posting styles and PGP integration?
@ 2001-04-17 18:18 Andreas Fuchs
From: Andreas Fuchs @ 2001-04-17 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

WIBNI there was a way to tell gnus to automagically PGP/GPG/SMIME-sign
mails via a posting style?

I am well aware of the pgp-stuff in BBDB, but it doesn't seem to work,
and posting styles seem just like the cleaner way of doing it (Like, I
don't want to send PGP-signed news articles except to a few groups).

--
Andreas Fuchs, <asf@acm.org>, <d96001@htlwrn.ac.at>, antifuchs

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 231 bytes --]

* Re: Posting styles and PGP integration?
@ 2001-04-18  3:13 ` Daniel Pittman
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2001-04-18  3:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Andreas Fuchs wrote:
> WIBNI there was a way to tell gnus to automagically PGP/GPG/SMIME-sign
> mails via a posting style?
>
> I am well aware of the pgp-stuff in BBDB, but it doesn't seem to work,
> and posting styles seem just like the cleaner way of doing it (Like, I
> don't want to send PGP-signed news articles except to a few groups).

(setq gnus-posting-styles '(("mail.pgp-sign-required"
                                (body "<#part sign=pgpmime>"))))

        Daniel

--
We close our eyes and look in opposite direction.
We ignore the threats and hope they'll go away.

* Re: Posting styles and PGP integration?
@ 2001-04-18  4:23   ` Andreas Fuchs
From: Andreas Fuchs @ 2001-04-18  4:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Today, Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> wrote:
> (setq gnus-posting-styles '(("mail.pgp-sign-required"
>                                 (body "

[-- Attachment #1.2.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 137 bytes --]

"))))

Yes, that is exactly what I had in mind.
Thanks a lot.

--
Andreas Fuchs, <asf@acm.org>, <d96001@htlwrn.ac.at>, antifuchs

[-- Attachment #1.2.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 231 bytes --]

@ 2001-04-18  4:29   ` Andreas Fuchs
From: Andreas Fuchs @ 2001-04-18  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Today, Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> wrote:

[-- Attachment #1.2.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 100 bytes --]

> (setq gnus-posting-styles '(("mail.pgp-sign-required"
>                                 (body "

[-- Attachment #1.2.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 231 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.3.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 364 bytes --]

"))))

Oh, darn. (-%

That's not quite it, for when I reply to a mail by quoting it (with F or
R), the <##part...> stuff is inserted _below_ the quotation, which is
not a Good Thing, IMHO. Is there a way to move this to the first line in
a message? With message-setup-hook, perhaps?

--
Andreas Fuchs, <asf@acm.org>, <d96001@htlwrn.ac.at>, antifuchs

[-- Attachment #1.3.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 231 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 231 bytes --]

* Multipart PGP sign/encrypt (was: Posting styles and PGP integration?)
@ 2001-04-18 13:04   ` Josh Huber
From: Josh Huber @ 2001-04-18 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> writes:

> (setq gnus-posting-styles '(("mail.pgp-sign-required"
>                                 (body "<#part sign=pgpmime>"))))

Ok, this reminds me of something.  adding the MML part tag to sign or
encrypt only works on the /current/ part.  This is a problem.  It
should operate on the entire mail.  Lets see.

doing a:

<$multipart type=mixed sign=pgpmime>
<$/multipart>

*almost* does the trick.

As an example, here are some headers from a multipart email signed by
mutt (which, IMHO does a very good job with this type of thing):

These headers are in the real headers of the email message:

The above headers are what gnus generates when you use the <$part
sign=pgpmime> format, in case you were curious.

Next, depending on whether or not there are multiple parts, mutt
inserts a multipart/mixed type, in which each part is saved.  If there
is only one part, it is just encoded and saved:

--or--

etc etc etc

*****************

Now, what the point is, that gnus doesn't necessarily do things wrong,
it just does them in a different way (and is not RFC compliant, I
think...it's hard to tell)  Gnus generates the correct headers for a
single part, but when you try to use the multipart signed you get the
wrong thing:

This is the only header in the main header section of the message:

next, there is a multipart/signed part:

        micalg=pgp-sha1; protocol="application/pgp-signature"

next, a multipart/mixed part:

which then finally contains each part.

Now, what I'd really like to do is this:

<$part sign=pgpmime>
<$multipart type=mixed>

foo bar
la la la

<$part ...> <--- included file, etc.
<$/multipart>
<$/part>

Of course, this doesn't work, since <$part> automatically closes when
it encounters the next <$part> or <$multipart>.

So, is there a way to get Gnus to do what I want it to do?

I know a little elisp, and I've looked through the source a little,
but I tried following the MML code and it's pretty involved.

If there's no solution, does someone have a pointer on where to start
in the mml code?

* Re: Multipart PGP sign/encrypt (was: Posting styles and PGP integration?)
@ 2001-04-18 16:25     ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2001-04-18 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Josh Huber <huber@nospam.alum.wpi.edu> writes:

> So, is there a way to get Gnus to do what I want it to do?

We could resurrect direct multipart/signed support, which reflects the
structure of the generated message more closely:

<$multipart type=signed method=pgp>
<$/multipart>

I still consider this the correct approach.  (The necessary hooks are
already there.)

* Re: Multipart PGP sign/encrypt (was: Posting styles and PGP integration?)
@ 2001-04-18 16:57       ` Josh Huber
From: Josh Huber @ 2001-04-18 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> We could resurrect direct multipart/signed support, which reflects the
> structure of the generated message more closely:
>
> <$multipart type=signed method=pgp>
> <$/multipart>
>
> I still consider this the correct approach.  (The necessary hooks are
> already there.)

Yes, this sounds like the best solution, and then to have
mml-secure-sign-pgpmime do the 'right' thing (either part or
multipart) depending on whether or not there are attachments present.

Where is the relevant code?

* Re: Posting styles and PGP integration?
@ 2001-04-19  1:23     ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2001-04-19  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, Andreas Fuchs wrote:
> Today, Daniel Pittman <daniel@rimspace.net> wrote:
>> (setq gnus-posting-styles '(("mail.pgp-sign-required"
>>                                 (body "
> "))))
>
> Oh, darn. (-%

Darn indeed. That'll teach me to speak without testing. :?

> That's not quite it, for when I reply to a mail by quoting it (with F
> or R), the <##part...> stuff is inserted _below_ the quotation, which
> is not a Good Thing, IMHO. Is there a way to move this to the first
> line in a message? With message-setup-hook, perhaps?

(defun dp:add-signed-part-tag ()
  "Automatically add a signature tag to a message..."
  (save-excursion
    (message-goto-body)
    (insert "<#part sign=pgpmime>\n\n")))
(add-hook 'message-setup-hook 'dp:add-signed-part-tag)

That should do it, modulo testing. :)

        Daniel

--
Recursion is the root of computation since it trades description for time.
        -- Alan Perlis

* Re: Posting styles and PGP integration?
@ 2001-04-19  8:34     ` lantz moore
From: lantz moore @ 2001-04-19  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andreas Fuchs <asf@acm.org> writes:

> That's not quite it, for when I reply to a mail by quoting it (with F or
> R), the <##part...> stuff is inserted _below_ the quotation, which is
> not a Good Thing, IMHO. Is there a way to move this to the first line in
> a message? With message-setup-hook, perhaps?

i'm having a similar problem with a similar setup.  what i'd like to do is
make sure to encrypt replies to encrypted mails (it's far too easy to SW,
type your reply, and C-cC-c while forgetting to M-mcp first).

what i tried was:
(setq  gnus-posting-styles '((header "content-type" "encrypted"
                                     (body "<##part encrypt=pgpmime>"))))

this almost works, but i get the same result as you, the encrypt tag comes
after the yanked text.  mucking with message-setup-hook doesn't seem to
help either because a) that's what gnus-posting-styles does, and 2) that
hook seems to get run *before* the yanked text gets inserted.  is there
any hook that gets run *after* the yanking?  hmm, maybe
gnus-message-setup-hook?

ok, what about this:
(setq  gnus-posting-styles
        '((header "content-type" "encrypted"
           (eval (save-excursion
                   (make-local-variable 'gnus-message-setup-hook)
                   (add-hook 'gnus-message-setup-hook
                    `(lambda ()
                       (save-excursion
                         (message-goto-body)
                         (insert "<##part encrypt=pgpmime>\n\n")))))))))

this seems to do *almost* what i want, with the odd side effect of putting
the encrypt tag at the top of *every* message.  even just hitting m in the
group buffer.  ugh, back to the drawing board i suppose...

-l

* Re: Posting styles and PGP integration?
@ 2001-04-19 19:05       ` Andreas Fuchs
From: Andreas Fuchs @ 2001-04-19 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)