From: Dan Christensen <jdc@jhu.edu>
Subject: a few questions about the agent
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 14:22:40 -0400	[thread overview]

I've just started using the agent with pgnus-0.84 and have a few
questions.

1) I have mail delivered to local spool files, but Gnus won't read
these spool files when it is unplugged.  (My mail backend is nnfolder,
and it is not registered with the agent.)  Since I don't read from
a pop server, there is no reason for Gnus to be plugged when reading
mail.  Am I doing something wrong?

2) When I start gnus with gnus-unplugged, various hooks don't seem to
be run.  For example, in my .gnus I have:

(add-hook 'gnus-sum-load-hook
'(lambda nil
   (define-key gnus-summary-mode-map "\C-i" 'jdc-gnus-summary-toggle-processable)
   (define-key gnus-summary-mode-map "J" 'jdc-gnus-group-select-a-group)
   (define-key gnus-summary-mode-map "i" 'jdc-gnus-group-select-inbox)
   (define-key gnus-summary-mode-map "/e" 'jdc-gnus-summary-limit-exclude-unwanted)
))

After entering a summary buffer, the value of gnus-sum-load-hook is
the lambda expression above, but gnus-summary-mode-map does not
contain my customizations.  Similar things happen in other buffers.

3) When I'm in a rush, or only have access to an expensive connection,
I only want the agent to download headers and articles for the groups
I think are most important.  I thought maybe I could create a category
called "important", which lists the important groups, and have the
rest be in the default category.  But if I do this, how do I tell the
agent which categories I want it to use for this particular session?
I guess I could change the predicate in default category to false when
I only want to see important articles, but that seems a bit awkward.
I also thought of adjusting gnus-agent-handle-level up and down as
appropriate, but again this is awkward, and I already use levels to
indicate other information.  Any other ideas?

4) I saw a patch for using nnimap with the agent.  Has anyone been
using this?  Does it work well?  I've only started playing with
nnimap.

Thanks for any help,

Dan

--