From: Randal Schwartz <merlyn@stonehenge.com>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: Connecting through rlogin (ssh)
Date: 04 Nov 1998 08:35:10 -0700	[thread overview]

>>>>> "Andy" == Andy Eskilsson <andy.eskilsson@telelogic.se> writes:

Andy> I want to access a newshost on another system that I have ssh-access
Andy> to one of the computers on the net, so I thought 'this is something
Andy> for nntp-open-rlogin..

Here's what I'm using on qgnus (apologies if it's changed for pterry-gnus):

(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.teleport.com"
			   (nntp-address "user2.teleport.com")
			   (nntp-open-connection-function nntp-open-rlogin)
			   (nntp-end-of-line "\n")
			   (nntp-rlogin-program "ssh")
			   (nntp-rlogin-parameters
			    ("-x" "-C" "telnet" "-8" "news" "nntp"))
			   ))

news.teleport.com shows up as the entry in the server list.  I connect
ssh to user2.teleport.com, and from there run a telnet to
news.teleport.com's nntp port.

It works.  There may be easier ways, but this gets the job done.

Email: <merlyn@stonehenge.com> Snail: (Call) PGP-Key: (finger merlyn@teleport.com)
Web: <A HREF="http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/">My Home Page!</A>
Quote: "I'm telling you, if I could have five lines in my .sig, I would!" -- me