* Sharing setup between different computers?
@ 2012-02-13 20:02 Michael Heerdegen
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2012-02-13 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hello,

I currently ply between two locations in Germany.  At both locations, I
have a desktop computer and read news via Gnus.  I want to transfer my
setup including which groups I have subscribed, which articles I have
read, which ones I have ticked etc, between the two locations.

Is it safe to just copy .newsrc.eld and .newsrc (besides the gnus init
file, of course) from one computer to the other, or can this lead to
problems?  Or is there maybe a better method?

Thanks for your answers,

Michael.

* Re: Sharing setup between different computers?
@ 2012-02-13 20:05 ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2012-02-13 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen; +Cc: ding

> Is it safe to just copy .newsrc.eld and .newsrc (besides the gnus init
> file, of course) from one computer to the other

Yes, that should work fine.

  http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no  *  Sent from my Rome

* Re: Sharing setup between different computers?
@ 2012-02-13 20:06 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2012-02-13 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 21:02:42 +0100 Michael Heerdegen <michael_heerdegen@web.de> wrote:

MH> I currently ply between two locations in Germany.  At both locations, I
MH> have a desktop computer and read news via Gnus.  I want to transfer my
MH> setup including which groups I have subscribed, which articles I have
MH> read, which ones I have ticked etc, between the two locations.

MH> Is it safe to just copy .newsrc.eld and .newsrc (besides the gnus init
MH> file, of course) from one computer to the other, or can this lead to
MH> problems?  Or is there maybe a better method?

If you're sure you'll never read mail on a machine and THEN synchronize
it, it will work.  Just make sure both computers have the same server
and parameter setup.

gnus-sync.el could also help you with this.  It synchronizes just
subscriptions and marks using a file or a remote CouchDB server.

Ted

* Re: Sharing setup between different computers?
@ 2012-02-14  1:22 ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2012-02-14  1:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

> Hello,
>
> I currently ply between two locations in Germany.  At both locations, I
> have a desktop computer and read news via Gnus.  I want to transfer my
> setup including which groups I have subscribed, which articles I have
> read, which ones I have ticked etc, between the two locations.
>
> Is it safe to just copy .newsrc.eld and .newsrc (besides the gnus init
> file, of course) from one computer to the other, or can this lead to
> problems?  Or is there maybe a better method?
>
> Thanks for your answers,
>
> Michael.

I simply keep my emacs/gnus files in dropbox. Works well. Just copying
those files isnt enough afaik since gnus uses other files for things
like scoring/killfiling - although that may have changed.

(After figuring out how to tame where Gnus stores things of course which
is covered in another thread)