From: Brent Busby <brent@jfi.uchicago.edu>
To: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: X-Gnus-Article-Number cleanup
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2021 09:23:19 -0600	[thread overview]

> Brent Busby <brent@jfi.uchicago.edu> writes:
>
>> Yes, I am using nnfolder for mailboxes that get long term storage.  What
>> seems to sometimes happen if I copy or move an email or Usenet message
>> into an nnfolder is either:
>>
>> - The new copy in the nnfolder will get a X-Gnus-Article-Number number
>>   that is not in sequence compared to the other messages in the
>>   nnfolder.  In cases where the new messages number is actually lower
>>   than the one before it, Gnus will not display that message in the
>>   summary, or any messages that come after it.  You will have to use
>>   another mailreader to see these messages, or look at them raw with a
>>   pager like less.
>
> Is this repeatable?  I tried this myself now, and the nnfolder message
> got an X-Gnus-Article-Number header.
>
> In any case, please report this with `M-x report-emacs-bug' so that we
> can track the problem.

Like I said, it _does_ get the header, but much of the time, it's out of
sequence.  (The number may sometimes be lower than the last message that
was already in the mailbox.)  It seems to depend on what the last
message number was in the mailbox it came from, rather than the one it's
being copied to.

+ Sr. UNIX Systems Admin +  banging on a million typewriters will
+ James Franck Institute +  Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet,
+ Materials Research Ctr +  we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky