* Yet another thread about Gnus, isync and dovecot mail stack
@ 2022-08-07 18:34 bk
From: bk @ 2022-08-07 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ding

Hi,
I am asking you about help with basic configuration and available
sources [1][2][3] are not enough for me.
Using mbsync I successfully synchronize e-mails with my IMAP provider. I
have problem with connection from Gnus to local dovecot server and I'm
stuck now.

Current configuration of ~/.mbsyncrc (inspired heavily on [4]:
IMAPAccount gandi
Host mail.gandi.net
User bk@asterio.cloud
PassCmd "/usr/bin/pass email/bk"
SSLType IMAPS
CertificateFile /var/lib/ca-certificates/ca-bundle.pem

IMAPStore gandi-remote
Account gandi

MaildirStore gandi-local
SubFolders Verbatim
Path ~/.mail/gandi/
Inbox ~/.mail/gandi/Inbox

Channel gandi
Far :gandi-remote:
Near :gandi-local:
Patterns *
Create Both
Expunge Both
SyncState *

My /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf contains (inspired Eric's post and [5]):
protocols = imap
listen = localhost
ssl = no
disable_plaintext_auth = no
mail_location = maildir:~/.mail:LAYOUT=fs
auth_verbose = yes
auth_mechanisms = plain login
passdb {
   driver = passwd-file
   args = /etc/dovecot/passwd
}
userdb {
   driver = static
   args = uid=bk gid=users home=/home/bk
}

And finally my ~/.gnus is simply:
(setq gnus-select-method
       '(nnimap "asterio.cloud"
	       (nnimap-stream network)
	       (nnimap-address "localhost")
	       (nnimap-authenticator login)
	       (nnimap-user "bk")))

During connection Gnus I see logs in *MESSAGES* buffer:
Opening nnimap server on asterio.cloud...failed: BAD NULs not allowed in
strings

dovecot logs says:
imap-login: Disconnected: Connection closed (no auth attempts in 2
secs): user=<>, rip=::1, lip=::1, secured,
session=<bnKv3qrl+rcAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAB>

What I can check more?

1. https://ericabrahamsen.net/tech/2014/oct/gnus-dovecot-lucene.html
2. https://github.com/gongzhitaao/GnusSolution
3. https://www.mail-archive.com/info-gnus-english@gnu.org/msg13957.html