From: "Mat Marcus" <mat-lists@emarcus.org>
To: "Vitaly Mayatskikh" <v.mayatskih@gmail.com>
Cc: ding@gnus.org
Subject: Re: gnus IMAP vs. Exchange Server 2007
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 10:07:09 -0700	[thread overview]

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 11:21 PM, Vitaly Mayatskikh
<v.mayatskih@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mat Marcus <mat-lists@emarcus.org> writes:
>
>> At work, we recently "upgraded" from MS Exchange Server 2003 to 2007. Suddenly
>> gnus stopped working as an IMAP client. As Thunderbird also had problems I
>> decided to do a little debugging. After viewing the *imap-log* I noticed that in
>> the course of the seesion, gnus sends the command
>>
>> 124 FETCH 1,* UID
>>
>> to which MS Exchange Server 2007
>>
>> 124 BAD The specified message set is invalid.
>>
>> Things go downhill from there. I also manually telneted in and issued the same
>> command, and received the same result. My questions are:
>>
>> 1) is 124 FETCH 1,* UID a valid IMAP command for non-empty mailboxes?
>> 2) if so, is this an MS Exchange Server 2007 bug?
>> 3) in either case is there a patch workaround for gnus? I am currently running
>> gnus "5.11" that comes with emacs 22.1.1.
>>
>> Sorry if this has already been covered--I am not an expert in IMAP protocols,
>> Exchange Server, or gnus.
>
> (setq imap-enable-exchange-bug-workaround t)
>
> "Documentation:
> Send FETCH UID commands as *:* instead of *.
> Enabling this appears to be required for some servers (e.g.,
> Microsoft Exchange) which otherwise would trigger a response 'BAD
> The specified message set is invalid.'."

Thanks for the reply. This variable is just what I need. C-h v
indicates that it is not present in the version of gnus that I have
(see 3, above). Do I just grab an arbitrary nightly snapshot  and
replace my lisp/gnus folder? Or will this introduce more
"instabilities" than it is worth? Or am I better off downloading and
compiling a newer emacs? If so, which version will suffice? Is there
an FAQ about this?

Thanks again for your patient replies,
Mat