* Missing name in summary line
@ 1995-11-08  9:50 Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1995-11-08  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear all,

I have the following gnus-summary-line-format:

        "%U%R%z%I%(%[%d,%4L: %-15,15n%]%) %s\n"

Also, I use bbdb, does that make any difference here?

Anyway, when I get mail with a from address like so:

        From: <joe.luser@foo.bar.com>

The summary line looks like this:

        !  [ 8-Nov,   9:                ] Some subject goes here

ie, the author name is missing :-(

What can I do?

        \kai{}
--
~/.signature

* Re: Missing name in summary line
@ 1995-11-08 13:55 ` Jack Vinson
From: Jack Vinson @ 1995-11-08 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well, if the guy is in your BBDB data base, then if you pick up the file
gnus-bbdb.el that Brian Edmonds put together and insinuate the changes into
Gnus his name will show up in there.  If he isn't it should just pop up
whatever mailextr figures out, or just the address.  Of course, I can never
find a reference to the original files.  Brian?  Speak up.

I am a bit surprised, though, that mailextr doesn't just use the address as
a last resort for your friend joe.luser.

--
   (      "Mmmmmm - coffee"               (
   ))     Jack Vinson                     ))

* Re: Missing name in summary line
@ 1995-11-08 14:19   ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 1995-11-08 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

  Jack> I am a bit surprised, though, that mailextr doesn't just use
  Jack> the address as a last resort for your friend joe.luser.

I am, too.  Is this a bug?  Using 5.0.9, I think I should add.

        \kai{}
--

@ 1995-11-08 19:10 ` Richard Stanton
From: Richard Stanton @ 1995-11-08 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

    Kai> The summary line looks like this:

    Kai>         !  [ 8-Nov,   9:                ] Some subject goes here

    Kai> ie, the author name is missing :-(

    Kai> What can I do?

When I first installed sgnus 0.12, I had a similar symptom, but it
occurred only on the first article of each group! Even odder, it's now
vanished, so I have no idea what was going on. Using Brian Edmonds'
gnus-bbdb plus

(setq gnus-summary-line-format "%U%R%z%(%[%2t,%3L: %-20,20uB%]%)%I%s\n")

seems to work for me now.

Richard

* Re: Missing name in summary line
@ 1995-11-09  2:12   ` Sudish Joseph
From: Sudish Joseph @ 1995-11-09  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jack Vinson writes:
> Well, if the guy is in your BBDB data base, then if you pick up the
> file gnus-bbdb.el that Brian Edmonds put together and insinuate the
> changes into Gnus his name will show up in there.  If he isn't it
> should just pop up whatever mailextr figures out, or just the
> address.  Of course, I can never find a reference to the original
> files.  Brian?  Speak up.

A message I saved some time back is tacked on at the end.

> I am a bit surprised, though, that mailextr doesn't just use the
> address as a last resort for your friend joe.luser.

I had patched mail-extr to return ("joe" "joe@some.where") in response
to addresses of the from "jose@some.where" (or indeed, in response to
"Joe <joe@some.where>").  However, this breaks bbdb, since you get
lots of bogus matches due to bbdb matching on a single name alone.  I
backed out the patch a few months back.  If you want to play with it,
let me know, I might be able to dig it up.

Also, gnus-extract-address-components needs to be updated to handle
addresses of these two forms correctly:
a) "<luser@x.y>"
b) "<luser@x.y> (I. Use. Periods here)"

In a) the <> is redundant, but people do it anyway.  In b) the Name
should be in double quotes instead of a comment, but people do this
quite infrequently as well.

-Sudish

From: Brian Edmonds <edmonds@cs.ubc.ca>
Subject: Re: BBDB with GNUS5.0
To: info-bbdb@cs.uiuc.edu
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 1995 17:43:23 -0700

Jack> There is an automatic way to get gnus-bbdb, but I've forgotten it.
Jack> Try sending him e-mail.

You can get it on the web at
  http://www.cs.ubc.ca/spider/edmonds/gnus-bbdb.el
or you can send mail to majordomo@edmonds.home.cs.ubc.ca with the
following line in the body: get misc gnus-bbdb.el

The current release is 1.19 -- if you get an older one, let me know, as
my RCS files have been a bit out of sync lately.

Jack> If you already have gnus-bbdb, you need to recompile it after
Jack> changing the "header-from" to "mail-header-from" in line 88.

I'm rather behind and am still running an early 0.9x release of ding.
I'll upgrade to 5.0 RSN, and when I do will be bringing gnus-bbdb up to
date.  Jack's summary of the installation steps to follow was concise
and correct.

Jack> And the mark has been changed from "*" to "+"

The code I got from Sudish that eventually morphed into gnus-bbdb used +
so that stuck (or changed it gratuitously, I forget :).  I've since
tried *, but I find + sticks out a bit better visually, so I've seen no
particular reason to change the default.

--
 o         Brian Edmonds <bedmonds@cs.ubc.ca> (occasional MSc student)
 \\_/\_,   Applications Analyst, University of British Columbia, Canada

* Re: Missing name in summary line
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1995-11-10  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sudish Joseph <joseph@cis.ohio-state.edu> writes:

> Also, gnus-extract-address-components needs to be updated to handle
> addresses of these two forms correctly:
> a) "<luser@x.y>"
> b) "<luser@x.y> (I. Use. Periods here)"
>
> In a) the <> is redundant, but people do it anyway.  In b) the Name
> should be in double quotes instead of a comment, but people do this
> quite infrequently as well.

Well, b) is illegal, but not because there are dots in the comment.
Quoth son-of-1036:

From-content = address [ space "(" paren-phrase ")" ]
/ [ plain-phrase space ] "<" address ">"
paren-phrase = 1*( paren-char / space / encoded-word )
paren-char = <ASCII printable character except ()<>\>

So the only characters that are illegal in comments are "()<>\".
However, b) is illegal since the address can't have "<>".

So, like, `gnus-extract-address-components' does handle these
correctly -- they are just broken.  :-)

--
Home is where the cat is.

* Re: Missing name in summary line
@ 1995-11-10  3:24     ` Brian Edmonds
From: Brian Edmonds @ 1995-11-10  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for posting this Sudish, I almost skipped this thread...

> You can get it on the web at
>   http://www.cs.ubc.ca/spider/edmonds/gnus-bbdb.el
> or you can send mail to majordomo@edmonds.home.cs.ubc.ca with the
> following line in the body: get misc gnus-bbdb.el

These instructions are still correct.  You can also find that URL on the
page of BBDB enhancements -- I don't remember its URL, you can likely
link there from JWZ's homepage.

> The current release is 1.19 -- if you get an older one, let me know,
> as my RCS files have been a bit out of sync lately.

The current release is up to 1.20 and works fine with 5.0.6, which I'm
currently using.  Keeping up with versions just hasn't been happening
lately. *sigh*

Jack> If you already have gnus-bbdb, you need to recompile it after
Jack> changing the "header-from" to "mail-header-from" in line 88.

I've a report that gnus-bbdb doesn't work if you byte compile it, but I
never have myself, and it just hasn't been important enough to make it
higher on the "do it now" queue.

Brian                                http://www.cs.ubc.ca/spider/edmonds

* Re: Missing name in summary line
@ 1995-11-10 14:28       ` Jack Vinson
From: Jack Vinson @ 1995-11-10 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

BE> I've a report that gnus-bbdb doesn't work if you byte compile it, but I
BE> never have myself, and it just hasn't been important enough to make it
BE> higher on the "do it now" queue.

For what it is worth, I'm using a byte compiled gnus-bbdb with sgnus-0.12
and have used it with gnus 5.10 with no problems.

Jack