* Re2: jka-compr support?
@ 1995-11-09  5:25 Jari Aalto
From: Jari Aalto @ 1995-11-09  5:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ratinox, ding

|Wed Nov 8 -95, Stephen Peters <speters@us.oracle.com> gnu.emacs.sources
| Stainless Steel Rat <ratinox@ccs.neu.edu> writes:
|
| >You won't loose anything if you use jka-compr, but if you're using nnml
| >or nnmh you will have problems because the backends operate on file
| >names in buffers and not directly with the filesystem, so jka-compr's
| >hooks never come into play and your compressed mail files don't appear
| >as mail files.
| >
| >This little script (hack! hack!) [...]
|
| I don't remember where I found it exactly, but I did discover an Emacs
| Lisp file called jka-aux.el, which will modify the Emacs file location
| routines so that trying to find "name" will automatically use
| "name.gz" or "name.Z" if the former doesn't exist.  This makes the
| backends work completely transparently, without hacks to the file
| system.

And if someone wants to have compressed elisp files due to
quota limit reasons, I can recommend one of my packages.

Mail me if anyone is interested, because the current version
is not released yet.

Cheers!
/jari

;; @(#) tinyezip.el -- 'load' support for compressed elisp files.

;; LCD Archive Entry:
;; tinyezip|Jari Aalto|jari.aalto@ntc.nokia.com|
;; Support for compressed elisp files: require, load, load-library,load-file..|
;; 02-Nov-1995|$Revision: 1.19 $|~/misc/tinyezip.el.Z|

;; Briefly:
;; o Allows commands LOAD, LOAD-LIBRARY, LOAD-FILE, REQUIRE and AUTOLOAD
;;   defined load to accept jka-compr supported lisp '.el' files that are
;;   compressed.  Note: you can't compress .elc files and have them loaded,
;;   only .el files.
;;
;; o As a special feature: you can change the actual "filename" (with hook)
;;   before it is loaded by emacs. Eg. to have same load-commands, but
;;   different files for different users/goups/sites
;;
;; o Correctly handles aliased commands that turn out to be in 'autoload'
;;   state.
;;
;; o Now you can compress all your lisp library files in your ~/elisp
;;   dir and save space eg. for quota limit reasons, while still being
;;   able to load them as usual.
;;
;; o You don't have to change anything in your .emacs startup file, all
;;   will work as usuall. (Note: see Limitations. You cannot use autoloaded
;;   function inside lisp code without preparations.)
;;

* Re: Re2: jka-compr support?
@ 1995-11-09 20:51 ` Nathan O. Siemers
From: Nathan O. Siemers @ 1995-11-09 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> On Thu, 09 Nov 1995 07:25:13 +0200, Jari Aalto <jaalto@tre.tele.nokia.fi> said:

Jari> And if someone wants to have compressed elisp files due to quota
Jari> limit reasons, I can recommend one of my packages.

Jari> Mail me if anyone is interested, because the current version is
Jari> not released yet.

Wasn't there also a jka-load at some point in time?  I had no problems
with it, but it seems to have not been included in emacs19.

Jari> Cheers!  /jari