* Gnus5, procmail, and reading mail lists.
@ 1995-11-13 17:48 Mark Borges
From: Mark Borges @ 1995-11-13 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'd like to take a stab at using Gnus5 to read mailing list mail as a
newsgroup. I've read through the info pages, but before I take the
plunge (and possibly lose some of this valuable list mail) I thought
I'd ask this list if the below is correct, and/or if there are any
pitfalls in what I'm planning. I checked the FAQ, and didn't see
specific answers (maybe these Q's aren't F enough).

I use procmail.

Procmail splits my incoming mail box into the mailing list boxes in my
home directory, i.e., it takes /var/mail/me and extracts mail from the
two lists foo and bar into:

	$HOME/mail/spool/foo
	$HOME/mail/spool/bar

Currently, I use VM and movemail to read these, but the scoring
capability of Gnus5 is begging me to try it instead.

So, how do Gnus / procmail exist, esp. with regard to lockfiles?

My reading of the info pages suggests I do the following:

	(setq nnmail-use-procmail t); use it
	(setq nnmail-spool-file "procmail") ; or should that be a variable?
	(setq nnmail-split-methods nil)) ; avoid unpleasant side effects
	(setq nnmail-procmail-directory (expand-file-name ~/mail/spool))
	(setq nnmail-procmail-suffix nil) ; just use the group name? I
 	                                    want the group to be foo
 	                                    and the spool file to be
 	                                    foo, as above.

Also, there was some discussion of why this:

If you use `procmail' to split things directory into an nnmh directory
(which you shouldn't do), you should set `nnmail-keep-last-article' to
non-`nil' to prevent Gnus from ever expiring the final article in a
mail newsgroup. This is quite, quite important.

was important, but I lost it. Anyway, I'm planning on using nnml as the
backend to get the NOV databases (unless procmail can do it more
efficiently). Is it just as important for nnml as nnmh?

Finally, should I restrict myself to the Gnus5 expiry process, or can
I just run a simple cron job each weekend to remove old mail? (I
suspect that might confuse Gnus5 after a while, though.)

Thanks for any tips (or pointers to procmail recipes).

  -mb-

* Re: Gnus5, procmail, and reading mail lists.
@ 1995-11-13 20:33 Steven L. Baur
From: Steven L. Baur @ 1995-11-13 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

    mb> I'd like to take a stab at using Gnus5 to read mailing list
    mb> mail as a newsgroup.
    mb> I checked the FAQ, and didn't see specific answers
    mb> (maybe these Q's aren't F enough).

Er, something like that.  I have *a lot* of good material set aside,
the problem is digesting and compacting it.

    mb> Procmail splits my incoming mail box into the mailing list
    mb> boxes in my home directory, i.e., it takes /var/mail/me and
    mb> extracts mail from the two lists foo and bar into:

    mb> 	$HOME/mail/spool/foo $HOME/mail/spool/bar

This is fine.

    mb> So, how do Gnus / procmail exist, esp. with regard to
    mb> lockfiles?

It snarfs the spool files with the Emacs movemail program.  Movemail
is lockfile compatible with procmail.

    mb> My reading of the info pages suggests I do the following:

	(setq nnmail-use-procmail t); use it
	(setq nnmail-spool-file "procmail") ; or should that be a variable?

Yes.  Use:
(setq nnmail-spool-file 'procmail)

	(setq nnmail-split-methods nil)) ; avoid unpleasant side effects
	(setq nnmail-procmail-directory (expand-file-name ~/mail/spool))
	(setq nnmail-procmail-suffix nil) ; just use the group name? I
 	                                    want the group to be foo
 	                                    and the spool file to be
 	                                    foo, as above.

If you are going to use Gnus expiration, it is important to also set:
(setq nnmail-keep-last-article t)

And, if you want Gnus to go out and grab the spool files you will also
need:

(setq nnml-get-new-mail t)

    mb> Also, there was some discussion of why this:

    mb> was important, but I lost it.

See the hypermail archive:

    mb> Anyway, I'm planning on using
    mb> nnml as the backend to get the NOV databases (unless procmail
    mb> can do it more efficiently). Is it just as important for nnml
    mb> as nnmh?

The basic difference between nnml and nnmh is that nnml uses NOV
files, and nnmh does not.

If you are going to generate NOV databases out of procmail, you will
have to deal with the same locking issues you face with the spool
files, with the added nicety that while the NOV database is being
updated Gnus must be locked out too.  I don't think anybody is doing
it this way.

    mb> Finally, should I restrict myself to the Gnus5 expiry process,
    mb> or can I just run a simple cron job each weekend to remove old
    mb> mail? (I suspect that might confuse Gnus5 after a while,
    mb> though.)

I'd recommend sticking with expiration from Gnus.  I'd be very
interested, though, in hearing reports of using News software for
maintenance.  Is it possible to make a News-lite distribution from the
canonical sources explicitly for this kind of use?

    mb> Thanks for any tips (or pointers to procmail recipes).

Procmail is black magic.  It just works.
Here are the recipes I'm currently using for this mailing list:

I had previously been using the pattern:
* ^TOding(-request)?
This doesn't work 100% mainly due to messages being Cc:'ed to you and the
mailing list.

# Ding Gnus (Usenet Newsreader for Emacs)
:0 c:
* Return-Path:.*ding.*ifi.uio.no
/usr/local/Web/gnus-list/gnus-mail-archive

:0 w:
* Return-Path:.*ding.*ifi.uio.no
dgnus-list.spool

Regards,
--
steve@miranova.com baur

* Re: Gnus5, procmail, and reading mail lists.
@ 1995-11-13 22:21 Steven L. Baur
From: Steven L. Baur @ 1995-11-13 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

    mb> So, how do Gnus / procmail exist, esp. with regard to
    mb> lockfiles?

    Joe> fine.  gnus uses movemail, which does locking.  I have this
    Joe> at the top of my .procmailrc, though:

# use lockfiles that Emacs movemail honours... otherwise you may lose mail
LOCKEXT=+

I thought movemail *did* use .lock for an extension.  At least that's
what the XEmacs sources seem to imply.

--
steve@miranova.com baur

* Re: Gnus5, procmail, and reading mail lists.
@ 1995-11-14  1:43 Steven L. Baur
From: Steven L. Baur @ 1995-11-14  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Steven> If you are going to use Gnus expiration, it is important
    Steven> to also set: (setq nnmail-keep-last-article t)

    Joe> I thought this was only if procmail was delivering directly
    Joe> to the nnm[lh] directory.

You're correct.

    Steven> If you are going to generate NOV databases out of
    Steven> procmail, you will have to deal with the same locking
    Steven> issues you face with the spool files, with the added
    Steven> nicety that while the NOV database is being updated Gnus
    Steven> must be locked out too.  I don't think anybody is doing it
    Steven> this way.

    Joe> Anymore.  Some people may still be using add-active-nov.

When we had a similar discussion last month, something about this was
mentioned, but it went over my head.  I just reread the thread, and
saw again the comments about a procmail NOV hack, which I assume
add-active-nov is referring to.  I don't see a reference to it in
either the Gnus, XEmacs lisp source, nor procmail 3.10 source (or
dejanews for that matter).

    Steven> I had previously been using the pattern:
    Steven> ^TOding(-request)?  This doesn't work 100% mainly due to
    Steven> messages being Cc:'ed to you and the mailing list.

    Joe> procmailrc(5) says:
    Joe> which should catch CCs.

Exactly.  You end up with two messages with identical message-ids
going into the same nnml folder, one of which is now in a Gnus black
hole, and cannot be referenced reasonably, or two identical messages
going into the hyperarchive.

--
steve@miranova.com baur

* Re: Gnus5, procmail, and reading mail lists.
@ 1995-11-14  1:55 Steven L. Baur
From: Steven L. Baur @ 1995-11-14  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

    j> you will have less difficulty if you use:

    j> $HOME/mail/spool/foo.spool $HOME/mail/spool/bar.spool

    mb> OK. I gave up and used the extension. I also gave up and used
    mb> ~/Mail instead of ~/mail. Gnus was stubborn about using the
    mb> former for some reason. Perhaps I was setting it too late, I
    mb> don't know. I was setting it in my `gnus-init-file', but it
    mb> was being over-ridden. Is there a preferred place for setting
    mb> nnmail-directory (I assume that's the correct variable to
    mb> set)?

You are setting nnmail-directory.  You need to set nnml-directory.
There should be no problem setting this in gnus-init-file.

I'd recommend adding trailing slashes.  eg.
(setq  nnml-directory "~/mail/")
(setq  nnmail-procmail-directory "~/Mail/spool/")

Use of expand-file-name does not appear to be required.

Regards,
--
steve@miranova.com baur