* group-name symbols and obarrays
@ 1995-11-14 22:02 Ken Raeburn
From: Ken Raeburn @ 1995-11-14 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there a reason why functions like gnus-group-list-groups and
gnus-group-insert-group-line intern the group names in the default
obarray instead of using one of the gnus hash tables?  After I quit
gnus, the primary obarray has lots of entries that are obviously group
names, though not all of the group names are included there.

Lots of gnus menu entry strings clutter the obarray too, and I have
menus disabled using menu-bar-mode in my .emacs file.

* Re: group-name symbols and obarrays
@ 1995-11-18  6:49 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1995-11-18  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ken Raeburn <raeburn@cygnus.com> writes:

> Is there a reason why functions like gnus-group-list-groups and
> gnus-group-insert-group-line intern the group names in the default
> obarray instead of using one of the gnus hash tables?

No.  So in September 0.14 they're all interned in
`gnus-active-hashtb', which is a hash table where most the group name
symbols already exists, so this should be a majorish improvement.  If
you list 5000 groups, you would get 5000 new symbols interned in
September 0.12.

> Lots of gnus menu entry strings clutter the obarray too, and I have
> menus disabled using menu-bar-mode in my .emacs file.

Yup.  The menus are created even when `menu-bar-mode' is nil, which is
a bug, I guess.  Fix in 0.15.  But that means that the menus won't
appear as advertised if the user toggles `menu-bar-mode' a lot...

--
Home is where the cat is.