From: mdb@cdc.noaa.gov (Mark Borges)
Subject: Re: nnmail-expiry-wait-function: broke, or how-to?
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 1995 15:43:38 -0700	[thread overview]

>> On 04 Dec 1995 22:09:00 +0000,
>> Robert Pluim(rp) wrote:
>>>>>> "Mark" == Mark Borges <mdb@cdc.noaa.gov> writes:
rp> [correct setting of nnmail-expiry-wait-function deleted]

Mark> But articles in my nnml mail folders are not being expired,
Mark> e.g., I still have an (unticked) article dated 13 Nov in my
Mark> lists.fvwm mail group, well beyond the 10 days I want to
Mark> keep it. (BTW, will ticked articles be excluded from the
Mark> expiry process?).

rp> Are you explicitly marking the articles for expiry in the *Summary*
rp> buffer by using 'E' ?

No, I was trying to avoid that and have Gnus do it (it does, as you
state below!)

rp> (BTW ticked articles will be excluded, if by ticked you mean
rp> marked using 'U')

Yes. Good, that's what I was hoping.

Mark> Must I put gnus-group-expire-articles() on a hook function?
Mark> If so, any suggestions on which one? Ideally, I'd like Gnus
Mark> to assume auto-expiry of the groups I've gone to the trouble
Mark> of listing in nnmail-expiry-wait-function, but I can do
Mark> anything; I just need a bit more info.

rp> You don't mention which version of ding you're using, but here goes
rp> anyway.

The latest (I think) -- Gnus-5.0.12. Or is there a Gnus-5.1 for XEmacs
(not Emacs-19.30) now?

rp> You need to set gnus-auto-expirable-newsgroups to be a regexp which
rp> matches the groups in which gnus will automatically *mark* articles
rp> for expiry (note this is not the same as expiring them). You can then
rp> expire articles in the group by using 'B e', or adding a hook,
rp> probably to gnus-summary-prepare-exit-hook. (this is done by default
rp> in some versions of ding)

Yep, this variable

gnus-auto-expirable-newsgroups's value is "nnml:lists\\.*"

Documentation:
*Groups in which to automatically mark read articles as expirable.
If non-nil, this should be a regexp that should match all groups in
which to perform auto-expiry.  This only makes sense for mail groups.

was the trick. And it's on the g-s-p-e-h hook by default in my copy of
Gnus.

rp> Hope this helps.

Yes, it did -- your reply was clear, helpful and right on. Thanks
again.

  -mb-