From: craffert@sps.ml.com (Colin Rafferty)
Cc: shrode@wsc.com
Subject: Re: Persistent News Articles - Saving News
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 95 10:15:29 EST	[thread overview]

Kai Grossjohann writes:

> [...]

Jason> It would seem to me that if I want to save an article in
Jason> comp.lang.ml, for example, I would probably like to just keep
Jason> the article in the organization it has been initially
Jason> presented to me.  So saving an article becomes the functional
Jason> equivalent of making the article persistent in that
Jason> newsgroup.

> I think the variable gnus-use-cache has a wrong name and doc string,
> for what we really use it for is to keep news articles in groups
> locally, don't we all?

> Jason, setting gnus-use-cache to t then ticking (`u') articles in news
> groups means they will remain in the news group forever (well, until
> you untick them, anyway).

I agree with Kai.  I do this all the time, except rather than setting
them as unread (`!'), I prefer to set them as dormant (`?').  The
advantage of dormant over unread is that I don't see the articles unless
I want to (either as a `*' in the summary, or in the group itself).  I
can always `M D' to show the dormants.

I also use this on my auto-expire mail groups.

Nit to pick with Lars: When I `M D', the articles are not threaded
correctly, and have no `A r' property (which I assume is a related
issue).

-Colin