* gnus format lines
@ 1995-12-06 15:04 Jack Vinson
From: Jack Vinson @ 1995-12-06 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there a way to force gnus summary line formatting to clip names beyond a
certain length?  I suppose I could write my own format function which does
this, but it would be nice if there was something already built in that
took care of things.

A long while back we talked about abbreviating newsgroup names in order to
shorten the length of the name displayed in the Group buffer.
The goal would be to change comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.tools.mfc to
c.o.m.programmer.tools.mfc or something.

As far as I remember nothing was ever written to do this, but I assume
one would just write a user-defined format function to do this?  (I'm
thinking, but I'd like to know if we've already got something like this
available.)

--
   (      "Mmmmmm - coffee"               (
   ))     Jack Vinson                     ))

* gnus format lines
@ 1995-12-08 19:05 ` Luis Fernandes
From: Luis Fernandes @ 1995-12-08 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

There already is a function that does this, because in my ~/.gnus I
have:

	  ;; In the modeline for the summary buffer, just show the
	  ;; newgroup (shortened version) and the number of unread
	  ;; articles
      gnus-summary-mode-line-format "%g %Z -- "

The %g abbreviates the group-name...