From: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs@sina.hpc.uh.edu>
Subject: Re: Switching to Adaptive Scoring
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 19:05:03 -0600	[thread overview]

LAB> I've been using Gnus 5 since about (ding) version 0.30 and am
LAB> considering switching to adaptive scoring.  What is the best way to do
LAB> this given that I have a large number of *.SCORE files with various
LAB> tweaks in them.

You can just turn it on.  All adaptive scoring info by default goes into
*.ADAPT files.  Any adjustments made in your SCORE files still work.

LAB> I'm also interested in seeing some examples of adaptive scoring setups
LAB> that work well for people.

I've tweaked this quite a bit over the last ten months or so.  At one point
it may have been made the default.  The idea is that you use "d" if you
don't like the author and "k" if you don't like the subject.  You might
want to adjust the bonuses and penalties if you read on average a different
percentage of the articles in a group (I average about 2/5) or if you find
author more important than subject.

(setq
 gnus-default-adaptive-score-alist  '((gnus-kill-file-mark)
				     (gnus-unread-mark)
				     (gnus-read-mark
				      (from  3) (subject  30))
				     (gnus-catchup-mark