* Gnus 5.x, OS/2 and those pesky colons :(
@ 1995-12-16  6:35 Roger Williams
From: Roger Williams @ 1995-12-16  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm stuck using OS/2 instead of Linux a lot these days.
Unfortunately, OS/2 is unable to handle certain Gnus 5.x capabilities,
such as foreign groups, because of its inability to deal with ":"
characters in file names.  Fixing gnus-newsgroup-saveable-name:

    (defun gnus-newsgroup-saveable-name (group)
      (gnus-replace-chars-in-string group ?/ ?. ?: ?. ?\\ ?. ?| ?.))

doesn't solve the whole problem.

Any helpful suggestions?  (I don't really want to have to reboot into
Linux just to nnkiboze...)

--
Roger Williams            PGP key available from PGP public keyservers
Coelacanth Engineering        consulting & turnkey product development

* Re: Gnus 5.x, OS/2 and those pesky colons :(
@ 1995-12-20  2:53 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 1995-12-20  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Roger Williams <roger@coelacanth.com> writes:

> I'm stuck using OS/2 instead of Linux a lot these days.
> Unfortunately, OS/2 is unable to handle certain Gnus 5.x capabilities,
> such as foreign groups, because of its inability to deal with ":"
> characters in file names.  Fixing gnus-newsgroup-saveable-name:
>
>     (defun gnus-newsgroup-saveable-name (group)
>       (gnus-replace-chars-in-string group ?/ ?. ?: ?. ?\\ ?. ?| ?.))
>
> doesn't solve the whole problem.

My feeling is that this is something that should be solved generally
in the Emacs OS/2 port -- there should be a file name translation
table of some sort that maps "illegal" characters into "legal" ones.

If there is absolutely no interest in doing something like that, I may
do a wrapper of some sort around the file name generation functions.

--
Home is where the cat is.

* Re: Gnus 5.x, OS/2 and those pesky colons :(
@ 1995-12-20  3:40   ` Roger Williams
From: Roger Williams @ 1995-12-20  3:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

  > My feeling is that this is something that should be solved generally
  > in the Emacs OS/2 port -- there should be a file name translation
  > table of some sort that maps "illegal" characters into "legal" ones.

Presumably this has already become an issue on other platforms -- how
is this handled in VMS, for instance?