From: Eric Hendrickson <edh@lenti.med.umn.edu>
Cc: ding@ifi.uio.no
Subject: Re: Is Username Expansion possible in GNUS?
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 18:02:32 -0500	[thread overview]

a little birdie reports that Danny Siu said:

> Prehaps I didn't state my question clearly.  For the people at Adobe whom I
> have never received any mail from (hence no BBDB record), what I want is to
> be able to expend their username (eg: jwz) to full name (first and last
> name) so that I know I spell their email address right.
>
> I don't know how Pine does that.  Maybe it looks up somewhere in the net and
> give me fullname after I type in the email address.  Does anyone know how
> Pine works this wonder?

I think what he is talking about, for those of you who haven't used pine (I
haven't but I've seen a few friends do this), is where in the To: or Cc:
field, a user can type the username of the addressee, and after moving to
another field, Pine expands it out to ``username@FQDN (Addressee's Full
Name)''.  I'm sure it gets this straight from the passwd file.  It probably
only does this for those that aren't in the .mailrc (.pinerc?) or those
that don't already have a '@' in the address.

I guess it would be kinda cool if Gnus did that, but I'm no expert since I
still haven't moved to Gnus for mail-reading from VM yet 8) (and VM doesn't
do this anyway).  It might be slow if the passwd file is big, though on the
machines where I've seen Pine do this, it is very quick and the passwd file
has about 40000 (yes, 40k) entries....

		Eric
--
Q:	How do you play religious roulette?
A:	You stand around in a circle and blaspheme and see who gets

Eric D. Hendrickson              Computational Biology Centers/Medical School
Senior Analyst/Programmer           University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, USA
612/625-3644 (phone)           <a href="http://umn.edu/~edh">Crystal Cave</a>
612/626-0623 (fax)        Damnit!  I can't stop the heterocyclic declination!