From: David Worenklein <dcw@gcm.com>
Subject: Re: procmail AND /usr/spool/mail/me (was Re: Feature request ? (or help))
Date: 01 Aug 1996 17:12:26 -0400	[thread overview]

    Jack>  Okay, Lars and I have been having some problems with this
    Jack> one for a while and it is still not resolved to my liking.
    Jack>
    Jack> I switched over to nnml a few months ago with procmail
    Jack> (well, something like it) splitting the majority of my mail
    Jack> into spool files on nnmail-procmail-directory.  However, any
    Jack> leftover mail gets left alone and goes into my
    Jack> /usr/spool/mail/jvinson (my nnmail-spool-file) which is also
    Jack> read when snarfing mail, according to the documentation on
    Jack> nnmail-use-procmail.
    Jack>
    Jack> Now, I have all my mail groups set at levels 1 and 2 with
    Jack> all my news non-mail groups set at 3 and below.  As a
    Jack> result, I should be able to simply 'C-u 2 g' to get new
    Jack> mail.  However, when I do this, the mail that has been
    Jack> pre-split is correctly dumped into their corresponding nnml
    Jack> groups, but the mail in nnmail-spool-file is all slurped
    Jack> into a single mail group.  This single mail group happens to
    Jack> appear first in the list of groups in my .newsrc.eld.
    Jack>
    Jack> I would be happy if someone can corroborate this.  Lars and
    Jack> I would be happy if someone could come up with a source of
    Jack> or solution to the problem.

If you have nnmail-spool-file set to 'procmail or nnmail-use-procmail
set to t, and nnmail-resplit-incoming set to f, gnus will not split
your mail. If you have nnmail-resplit-incoming set to t, gnus will
split all your mail, even the mail that came from a procmail spool
file.

The solution? Make nnmail-resplit-incoming a list of groups that
should be split -- all other groups should be left alone.

Sorry this isn't in patch form, but I don't have an original to diff
it against...

(defun nnmail-split-incoming (incoming func &optional exit-func group)
  "Go through the entire INCOMING file and pick out each individual mail.
FUNC will be called with the buffer narrowed to each mail."
  (let (;; If this is a group-specific split, we bind the split
	;; methods to just this group.
	(nnmail-split-methods (if (and group
								   (or (eq nnmail-spool-file 'procmail)
									   nnmail-use-procmail)
								   (or (not nnmail-resplit-incoming)
									   (and (functionp nnmail-resplit-incoming)
											(eval (list nnmail-resplit-incoming group)))
									   (and (listp nnmail-resplit-incoming)
											(not (member group nnmail-resplit-incoming)))))
				  (list (list group ""))
				nnmail-split-methods)))
    (save-excursion

Now, if only I could get message-send-mail-with-mh to work . . . :-(

--
 David C. Worenklein                                       GREENWICH   CAPITAL
 Operations Support                                        M a r k e t s,  Inc