* problems with nnimap
@ 2004-09-13 23:57 Joakim Verona
From: Joakim Verona @ 2004-09-13 23:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Im using a recent cvs gnus and I'm having some problems with nnimap.

- gnus and the imapd doesnt have the same view of which messages are
  in my inbox. How can I sync them again? Preferrably without loosing
  my marks and so on if possible.

- when moving mail from one folder to another, a very very slow expire
  process starts. For each moved mail gnus counts from 0 to about
  90000. There are perhaps 500 messages in the folder, so this is odd.

  Is it possible to reset the message counter to some sane value?

I use a recent cvs gnu emacs and a recent cvs gnus.
I use dovecot as imapd.

The above mentioned operations work well with for instance thunderbird
as imap client.

Cheers,
/Joakim

* Re: problems with nnimap
@ 2004-09-14  2:54 ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2004-09-14  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

comments inlined.
Kevin

Joakim Verona <joakim@verona.se> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Im using a recent cvs gnus and I'm having some problems with nnimap.
>
> - gnus and the imapd doesnt have the same view of which messages are
>   in my inbox. How can I sync them again? Preferrably without loosing
>   my marks and so on if possible.

As a test, open the server buffer then turn off the agent for your
nnimap server.  Then open the summary buffer to see if all is well.
If that clears up the problem, then the agent's local cache is out of
sync with your nnimap server.  As a fix, locate and delete the agent's
.overview file for this mail box.

> - when moving mail from one folder to another, a very very slow expire
>   process starts. For each moved mail gnus counts from 0 to about
>   90000. There are perhaps 500 messages in the folder, so this is odd.
>
>   Is it possible to reset the message counter to some sane value?

I checked in an update on 9 Sept that replaces the expiration function
with an optimized function.  If you're not using it, please give it a
try.

> I use a recent cvs gnu emacs and a recent cvs gnus.
> I use dovecot as imapd.
>
> The above mentioned operations work well with for instance thunderbird
> as imap client.
>
> Cheers,
> /Joakim

* Re: problems with nnimap
@ 2004-09-14 11:36   ` David Edmondson
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: David Edmondson @ 2004-09-14 11:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

* kevin.greiner@vignette.com [2004-09-14 03:54:23]
> > - gnus and the imapd doesnt have the same view of which messages are
> >   in my inbox. How can I sync them again? Preferrably without loosing
> >   my marks and so on if possible.
>
> As a test, open the server buffer then turn off the agent for your
> nnimap server.  Then open the summary buffer to see if all is well.
> If that clears up the problem, then the agent's local cache is out
> of sync with your nnimap server.  As a fix, locate and delete the
> agent's .overview file for this mail box.

I use two different machines with different home directories but the
same gnus configuration (i.e. same IMAP servers, etc.).  With the
agent enabled it seems impossible to have either of the machines note
any changes to an IMAP folder made by the other machine.  In effect I
have to delete the agent .overview files each time I sit down at a
machine.

Is this the way it is supposed to be?

(As an aside, using the cache rather than the agent displays the same
problems.  At the moment I'm running without either.)

dme.

* Re: problems with nnimap
@ 2004-09-15 22:26     ` Mats Lidell
From: Mats Lidell @ 2004-09-15 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Kevin Greiner, ding

David> Is this the way it is supposed to be?

I don't think so. I have tried to provide more information to the
developers in this matter by activating the *imap-log* "(setq imap-log
t)" Unfortunately at the time I could not reproduce the error so I
gave up (just to be struck by the same problem the next session and
then I really gave up and disabled the agent for imap.)

So if you can reproduce the problem easily. It would be a good idea
to produce an *imap-log* while you are seeing this problem. I'm sure
the developers will have a better chance to fix this then.

Yours
--
%% Mats

* Re: problems with nnimap
@ 2004-09-16  3:42     ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2004-09-16  3:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

It is certainly not the desired outcome.  However, nnimap and the
agent are functioning as intended.  The fix will require changes to
nnimap, the internals, the agent, and the cache.

Kevin

@ 2004-09-16 11:03       ` David Edmondson
From: David Edmondson @ 2004-09-16 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

* kevin.greiner@vignette.com [2004-09-16 04:42:14]
> It is certainly not the desired outcome.  However, nnimap and the
> agent are functioning as intended.  The fix will require changes to
> nnimap, the internals, the agent, and the cache.

Thanks for the answer.

At least now I know not to keep going back and trying again :-)

dme.

* Re: problems with nnimap
@ 2004-09-16 11:43     ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2004-09-16 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Edmondson <dme@dme.org> writes:

> * kevin.greiner@vignette.com [2004-09-14 03:54:23]
>> > - gnus and the imapd doesnt have the same view of which messages are
>> >   in my inbox. How can I sync them again? Preferrably without loosing
>> >   my marks and so on if possible.
>>
>> As a test, open the server buffer then turn off the agent for your
>> nnimap server.  Then open the summary buffer to see if all is well.
>> If that clears up the problem, then the agent's local cache is out
>> of sync with your nnimap server.  As a fix, locate and delete the
>> agent's .overview file for this mail box.
>
> I use two different machines with different home directories but the
> same gnus configuration (i.e. same IMAP servers, etc.).  With the
> agent enabled it seems impossible to have either of the machines note
> any changes to an IMAP folder made by the other machine.  In effect I
> have to delete the agent .overview files each time I sit down at a
> machine.
>
> Is this the way it is supposed to be?

Probably not.  What files are shared between your machines?  If you
share some of Gnus' files, you might have to share all of them.  Best
is to not share anything, except possibly ~/.emacs and ~/.gnus.

And this isn't just the documented problem with the *Group* buffer
unread count being an estimate?

* Re: problems with nnimap
@ 2004-09-16 12:58       ` David Edmondson
       [not found]         ` <x74qlyfk09.fsf-Fa9K8AdkI0TeLaKevn28BwbuSe0uIQCaNt5XxOAn/JRaa/9Udqfwiw@public.gmane.org>
From: David Edmondson @ 2004-09-16 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

* jas@extundo.com [2004-09-16 12:43:35]
> > Is this the way it is supposed to be?
>
> Probably not.  What files are shared between your machines?

No files that gnus modifies itself as part of book-keeping.

> If you share some of Gnus' files, you might have to share all of
> them.  Best is to not share anything, except possibly ~/.emacs and
> ~/.gnus.

That's the situation (i.e. I share only .emacs and .gnus).

> And this isn't just the documented problem with the *Group* buffer
> unread count being an estimate?

No.

On machine A I enter a group, scan the list of articles then quit the
group.  On machine B I enter the same group, delete an article (using
B DEL) and quit.  On machine A I enter the group again and the article
deleted on machine B is still shown.  Attempting to read the article
gives the usual message about it having disappeared.

The only way I've found to get out of this has been to delete the
agent data on machine A.

dme.

* Re: problems with nnimap
@ 2004-09-16 13:17         ` Simon Josefsson
       [not found]         ` <x74qlyfk09.fsf-Fa9K8AdkI0TeLaKevn28BwbuSe0uIQCaNt5XxOAn/JRaa/9Udqfwiw@public.gmane.org>
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2004-09-16 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ding

David Edmondson <dme@dme.org> writes:

> On machine A I enter a group, scan the list of articles then quit the
> group.  On machine B I enter the same group, delete an article (using
> B DEL) and quit.  On machine A I enter the group again and the article
> deleted on machine B is still shown.  Attempting to read the article
> gives the usual message about it having disappeared.
>
> The only way I've found to get out of this has been to delete the
> agent data on machine A.

Right.  I believe this should work.  Gnus on machine A searches for
which articles exist, when you enter the group, and should only show
those.  Machine A was online, right?  Not in disconnected mode, so it
was using the agent cache only?

Do (setq imap-log t) on machine B and collect the output generate
during B DEL, and then do (setq imap-log t) on machine A, and collect
the output generated when entering the group.

* Re: problems with nnimap
       [not found]         ` <x74qlyfk09.fsf-Fa9K8AdkI0TeLaKevn28BwbuSe0uIQCaNt5XxOAn/JRaa/9Udqfwiw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2004-09-16 13:50           ` Jochen Küpper
From: Jochen Küpper @ 2004-09-16 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 13:58:30 +0100 David Edmondson wrote:

David> On machine A I enter a group, scan the list of articles then
David> quit the group. On machine B I enter the same group, delete an
David> article (using B DEL) and quit. On machine A I enter the group
David> again and the article deleted on machine B is still shown.
David> Attempting to read the article gives the usual message about it
David> having disappeared.

For the record: I do have the same problem for a while through Oort
and No Gnus.

I'll look into the imap logs (and send them) as Simon suggests, but I
had done that before (the "looking at").

Greetings,
Jochen
        (Part 3 you find in my messages before fall 2003.)